During your Hogwarts Legacy playthrough, you’ll unlock multiple flying mounts you can use to travel around the map. Depending on whether you bought the Dark Arts pack or pre-ordered the game, you may also have skins like the Thestral and Onyx Hippogryff mounts. However, while there are no dragons you can ride on, there are mods out there that allow you to fly around on these intimidating beasts. If you’d like to learn more, continue reading to discover how to mount dragons using a Dragons mod in Hogwarts Legacy.
Related: Hogwarts Legacy Cutest Magical Beasts, Ranked
How to Mount Dragons in Hogwarts Legacy Using a Dragons Mod
As mentioned before, since we can’t normally ride around on dragons in Hogwarts Legacy’s base game, we’ll need specific mods to accomplish this. Today, we’ll use DragonOGryff, created by Showie, which changes your Hippogryff and Thestral mounts to dragons. There are a few different dragon models to choose from, but for the sake of this tutorial, we’ll use the Ethreal dragon.
Related: How to Install Mods for Hogwarts Legacy
Downloading the Mod On PC
Generally speaking, you’ll have to head to Hogwarts Legacy’s mod page, download the necessary files and add them to your game directory. For example, below are the full steps to getting the mod on PC through Steam:
- Before doing anything, back up your saves! It’s always good to do this whenever experimenting with mods.
- Head to the DragonOGryff Nexus Mods page linked above and download the main files ‘zDragonOgryff Hippogryff Main files‘ and ‘zDragonOgryff Thestral Main Files‘.
- On this same page, download the optional files for the dragon model you want. For example, downloading the ‘zDragonOgryff Hippogryff Ethreal‘ will change your ingame Hippogryff to the Ethreal one.
- Navigate to Steam, right-click Hogwarts Legacy and hover over Manage before choosing “Browse local files“.
- Head into Phoenix > Content > Paks and create a “~mods” folder if you don’t yet have one.
- Open the downloaded zDragonOgryff zip files from before until you see various PAK and UCAS files. Drag them all into the ~mods folder you just created. Repeat this for every zDragonOgryff file you downloaded, including any optional files.
- Boot up Hogwarts Legacy, select your Hippogryff and watch as a huge dragon appears instead!
Once that’s done, whenever you bring your Hippogryff mount out to fly on, a dragon will greet you instead! You can also delete the zDragonOgryff files if you want to uninstall the mod and get your Hippogryff or Thestral back.
Hogwarts Legacy is available on PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch through the official website. If you would like to learn more about the game, check out How to Use Rowland’s Map to Follow His Trail in Hogwarts Legacy and How to Open the Goblin Mine in Hogwarts Legacy.