Elden Ring is the newest fantasy RPG sensation from FromSoftware and Bandai Namco Entertainment. Since its release in February, it has become one of the most popular video games thanks to its immersive world, gameplay, and unique story, with contributions provided by Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin.
Although the game has created new standards in the gaming industry, it is still not immune to pesky errors, including the white screen error on Windows PC. Keep on reading to learn how to fix the white screen crash in Elden Ring.
What Causes Elden Ring White Screen Crash Error?
There are a few reasons behind the white screen in Elden Ring:
- Outdated graphics card – If you haven’t updated your GPU for a while, it may be unable to run a graphics-heavy game like Elden Ring.
- Corrupted game files: There is a slight chance that your game files have been corrupted which can also cause the white screen issue.
- Outdated game version: Check whether there is an update for the game through Steam. To do so, follow these steps:
- Go to your Steam client and then Library.
- Right-click on Elden Ring and click on Properties.
- In Updates, select Always keep this game updated in the Automatic Updates section.
Fix Elden Ring White Screen Crash on Startup
There are a few options you can try to fix the issue:
Restart Your Game and/or PC
This is the easiest potential fix and should be the first thing you try. Simply close the game, restart your PC, and relaunch Elden Ring. If this hasn’t resolved your issue, continue to the next fix.
Set High-Performance Mode for Elden Ring
This is a bit more of a complicated fix:
- First, open Settings on your PC and then click System.
- Open Display Settings and go to the Graphics menu. Click on Browse and open the location of Elden Ring on your computer.
- Choose the .exe file of the game and hit Add.
- After you add the file, click on Options and choose High Performance.
- Save the changes and exit the settings.
Now launch the game, and if the problem is still persisting, proceed to the next option.
Update Your Graphics Card Driver
An outdated graphics card driver can cause problems, not just when playing video games. To fix this, you need to download the latest driver for your GPU. Go to the card manufacturer’s official website and download the drivers. Once you install it, restart your PC and launch Elden Ring.
These are the main things you can try to fix the white screen crash on Startup in Elden Ring. If these don’t help, you can try reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C + + Runtime, disabling overlay applications such as Discord, and disabling CPU or GPU overclocking. You can even perform system reinstallation, but this should be your last resort.
For more Elden Ring content, check out our other articles, including Best Katanas in Elden Ring: Katana Tier List, Should You Kill Gatekeeper Gostoc in Elden Ring? – Answered, or click on the tag below the article.