Octopath Traveler 2 is a game full of challenging boss fights, and grinding is a huge part of the game. But what if we could make that process much, much easier? Here’s your optimal guide for farming leaves and exp in Octopath Traveler 2.
The Best EXP and Leaves Farming Guide for Octopath Traveler 2
When Octopath Traveler 2 was first released, I made a Cait farming guide that was fine for those starting the game. But with the discovery of new items and new abilities comes a better guide. This guide will work best for those in mid- to late-game and to get the most out of it you’ll want to complete Partitio’s Tropu’hopu Scent of Commerce Quest.
Now, let’s dive into it.
While many things in this guide are optional, accessories might be one of the most important components. Here are the ideal accessories you’ll need, gather what you can.
- Alluring Ribbon – Complete the Lingering Love quest in Stormhail.
- Brooch of Joy – How to Get the Brooch of Joy in Octopath Traveler 2
- Cait Powder – Find the Cat Lady in Tropu’hopu then render her unconscious any way you like. In her house you’ll find Cait Powder.
- Cait Powder 2 – Go to Clockbank and speak to the Haggard Man immediately to the left of the entrance. Guide him to the cat in the Industrial District on the far left. Get it? Cat? Catharine.
- EXP Augmentor – Requires the Grand Terry. At the very top right of the map, to the right of Frigit Isle.
- JP Augmentor – In the Cavern of Waves in Beasting Bay Anchorage, use the canoe to reach it.
- Octopuff Pot – Go to Conning Creek and steal it from the Fisherman at the entrance.
- Octopuff Pot 2 – Go into the Conning Creek tavern and speak to the Octopus Enthusiast. Guide him to Montwise and speak to the Octopus Researcher in Montwise outside of the inn.
- Octopuff Pot 3 – Go to Lighthouse Island just to the left of Frigit Isle. There will be a red chest with the last Octopuff Pot.
- Prosperity Charm –How to Complete The Soused Nobleman and Obtain the Prosperity Charm in Octopath Traveler 2
Best Support Skills
The primary support skills you’ll want to equip are Extra Experience, Hard Worker, Life in the Shadows, and More Rare Monsters. But having a unit (or three) that has A Step Ahead and Boost-Start is extremely helpful, as it will give you multiple chances to hit the notoriously evasive Cait and Octopuff.
- Extra Experience (Scholar) – Receive additional EXP after battles.
- Hard Worker (Dancer) – Receive additional JP after battles.
- Life in the Shadows (Thief) – Receive additional EXP and JP after battles at night.
- More Rare Monsters (Hunter) – Raises the chance of encountering rare monsters.
- A Step Ahead (Inventor) – The equipping character will act first at the start of battle.
- Boost-Start (Thief) – Grants the equipping character 1 BP at the start of battle.
- Grows on Trees (Merchant) – Receive additional leaves after battles.
Related: How to Obtain Job Skills for the Inventor in Octopath Traveler 2
Best Recruitable Characters
!!SPOILERS!! For Partitio’s story arc. Feel free to skip this section if you haven’t completed his Chapter 4 yet.
While this isn’t a necessary step, the absolute best character you can recruit for farming in Octopath Traveler 2 is without a doubt Alrond. Yes, the man who lays down eight billion leaves for Partitio’s steam engine.
To recruit Alrond, you’ll need to complete Partitio’s Story, then return to Alrond’s Estate in Wellgrove. Speak to Misha, Alrond’s butler, and complete his quest. Once you do, you’ll have the chance to recruit Alrond in his office during the day or outside of the manor at night. But doing so comes at a high price.
Recruiting him with Ochette requires three Octopath Bowls or with Partitio for 160,000 leaves. If you go with Partitio, remember to Scrutinize him with Osvald to lower the price.
It’s important to note that you can only summon Alrond three times in a game and his ability has a chance to grant you 100 x EXP or JP. But this isn’t guaranteed! If you didn’t get the 100 x EXP or JP boost (whatever you’re after), reload the game and keep looking for encounters until you do. This is the best way to get the most out of Alrond.
Related: How to Unlock Extra Stories in Octopath Traveler 2
Now Let’s Get Grinding
Now that you have a team set up with the best EXP and JP boosting items and skills you can find, head to the highest-level dungeon you can farm. Ideal farm spots will be areas where you can quickly kill the enemies. Time optimization is the most important part of grinding, and you don’t want to blow through all of your plums.
While you’re out there grinding, why not find out how to complete every single side story in Octopath Traveler 2 here: Octopath Traveler 2 – All Side Stories Guide