The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt came out back in 2015, and what most people forgot is how the launch was very rocky for Polish developers CD Projekt RED. Sure, it was nothing like Cyberpunk 2077, but there were still some major issues that were ironed out in the following years so much that everyone forgot that the “best western RPG of all time” (for some) ever had any problems. What followed was 10/10 everywhere, critical acclaim, some massive expansions, and all that. But now, in late 2022, we’re reminded that CDPR seems to still struggle with a smooth launch with The Witcher 3 Next-Gen Update – bringing the long-awaited support for the next-gen consoles, official ray-tracing support on PC, reworked graphics, and a whole bunch of new problems.
The good news is, in a strange turnaround, the console versions are kinda alright from the start. It’s the PC version that needs to be ironed out this time. But, if you intend on playing the new next-gen updated Witcher 3 on PlayStation 5, the only issue you might encounter is a convoluted save transfer process. So, how exactly do you transfer your Witcher 3 PS4 save to PS5? Let’s find out.
How to Transfer Your Witcher 3 PS4 Save to PS5
The Witcher 3 is one massive game and, of course, you can create a brand new fresh save on PlayStation 5 and start from scratch. Though, most of the players that invested hundreds of hours in the last-gen version may want to transfer their save files and continue the game with their already leveled up Geralt, or check out the new content, like the Netflix show inspired quest that was added. So, if that description fits you, follow the next steps carefully to transfer your Witcher 3 PS4 save to PS5.
- First thing’s first, you need to have both the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game installed on the same PS5 system, or if by any strange chance you still have your PS4, you can boot it up there.
- Be sure that both PS4 and PS5 versions are updated to the latest version 4.0. Press options, and select “Check for Update” on both versions to be sure.
- Fire up the PS4 version, and select the “My Rewards” option at the bottom. Common sense, I know.
- Here, you will get a URL link and a QR code that you need to either type in on your computer browser, or scan the QR with your phone, to go to The Witcher website to claim rewards – the rewards are some items for the game, and the cross-platform progression option. Yes, you need to unlock rewards in order to be able to transfer the save.
- Also, you will need a GOG.com account, so if you don’t have one, you will need to make it in order for this process to succeed.
- After all that is done, select “Load” from the options of the PS4 version and press the L2 button.
- You will get a confirmation that the Cross-Platform saves are now enabled.
- Your last autosave, manual save and even checkpoints can now be uploaded to the cloud. But unfortunately, that’s not the end.
- You need to load your most recent save on the PS4 version, and then once the game loads, manually save the game – be sure to save it into the new save slot marked with the cloud icon, in order to make that save available for download on the PS5 version.
- Now you can close and delete the PS4 version.
- Start the PS5 version of the game, then complete the whole My Rewards process once again (steps 3-5)
- After all that, select “Load” in the PS5 version and press L2 to see your cloud save that you made on PS4, load it up, and there you go! Finally, you can continue your save in the next-gen version, phew.
In the early days of the PlayStation 5, there were some games that did not allow any transfer of save files from the PS4. Some later titles had somewhat convoluted methods as well, but today in most of the modern cross-gen releases, this process has become practically seamless.
However, this save file transfer method that CDPR has come up with has to be one of the most convoluted and needlessly complicated I’ve ever seen. Nevertheless, it beats starting the game all over again, although unlike other games where it is possible to transfer saves, you will not be able to transfer previously won trophies here. Maybe they really want you to start it from the beginning? Have fun.
For more Witcher 3 here on Prima Games, check out the following – Witcher 3 Next-Gen Console Commands: Full List of Cheats, How to Get the Netflix Alternative Dandelion Appearance in Witcher 3, and Witcher 3 Next-Gen: Should you Turn Simulate Witcher 2 Save On or Off? – Answered.