We all know that a miniature heart attack happens after an Error Code comes out when you are trying to play your favorite game. It is really frustrating when you cannot play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, especially when your playtime is limited. So what to do when you get Error Code 0x887a0005 and how do you fix it?
Prima Games is here to help you fix Error Code 0x887a0005 in COD MW2 with a short guide.
How to Solve COD MW2 Error Code 0x887a0005
You may see error 0x887a0005 happen at any time. Some people have reported it occurring when they start up COD MW2, and some get the error during gameplay. Usually, this has something to do with the Graphics Card (GPU) and there are a couple of things that you can try doing to get rid of it.
- If you are running MSI Afterburner, consider disabling it to see if it stops error code 0x887a0005 from reappearing.
- If you are running GeForce Experience, turn off the “Instant Replay” feature. This can be done in-game (if you can get in) with the Alt+Z keystroke combination which turns on the GeForce overlay, from where you can disable Instant Replay. Alternatively, from the GeForce Experience settings (accessible from your Windows Taskbar in the corner) outside of the game, you can do the same thing. Or just turn off the entire thing.
- Disable the Discord Overlay. Sometimes the overlay software can be pesky.
- Repair your game files. On Steam, you do this from your Library, by right-clicking the game, going to Properties -> Local Files -> Verify integrity of game files, and on Battle.net you do this by clicking the gear icon (Settings) and locating the Scan & Repair option.
- Update your GPU drivers. If the update doesn’t work, try rolling back to a version of the drivers that is a few versions behind your current one.
- Update your Windows.
If all fails, reach out to Activision Support and tell them what troubleshooting you have done so far so that they can narrow down the situation more efficiently. Make sure to also include the dxdiag log. This is obtained by typing “dxdiag” after pressing the Start button, and after opening the software, pressing the Save All Information button, which makes a small .txt file that contains important info about your configuration appear.