Call of Duty might be a multiplayer FPS, but sometimes, we simply don’t want to be bothered by the players on our friends list. Maybe there’s a team you want to avoid or you just want to kick back by yourself after a long day. Either way, being able to appear offline in Modern Warfare 2 or any game can be a huge help.
Depending on your platform, appearing offline in COD Modern Warfare 2 can be convoluted. Sometimes the option won’t be available, and on PC, the process can differ. We’re going to explain the whole process in this guide so you can get back to gaming MW2 in peace.
COD Modern Warfare 2 – How to Appear Offline
This process is going to change depending on where you play MW2 and we can start by explaining consoles. At the moment, there doesn’t seem to be a concrete way to appear offline for consoles, but the option has appeared in the past. Below you can find the process for appearing offline on console when the feature is back and on PC depending on your copy.
PlayStation and Xbox
- Open up Modern Warfare 2 and head to the main menu.
- Press the start/menu button on your controller to pull up the COD HQ and everything in between.
- Tap R1 or RB until you reach your profile icon.
- There should be an option to appear offline when the feature returns.
PC MW2 Steam Purchase
- Open up your Steam client.
- Head to the top left of the screen where you can click on the friends tab. Another option is at the bottom right.
- Choose the option to appear offline or away depending on your preference. This should carry over to your Call of Duty as well.
PC MW2 Battle.net Purchase
- Open up the Battle.net client or app on your PC.
- At the top right of your screen, you’ll find a profile option.
- Click on this and look for the online or friends options.
- Choose to appear offline for as long as you’d like.
There are options to appear offline for consoles in general as well which can be done in the console settings, but it doesn’t seem to work for Modern Warfare 2 at the moment. Until then, either use the PC status or attempt to change your status through the profile icon directly in COD MW2.
And that’s all. For more on the Call of Duty title, head over to our dedicated Modern Warfare 2 section full of guides, news, updates, and more.