Having overpowered armor and tools in Minecraft allows you to defeat monsters and other players easily. Whether on a PvP server or in a casual, single-player world, enchanting your equipment is a great way to become stronger. You may wonder, though, how many you can put on your tools and armor, particularly on a sword.
If you’re interested in learning more, continue reading to discover how many enchantments a sword can have in Minecraft Java and Bedrock Editions.
How Many Enchantments Can a Sword Have In Minecraft?
The answer to this question partially depends on what version and edition of Minecraft you are currently playing. If you are a Minecraft Bedrock Edition player, you can have a maximum of seven enchantments, including Curse of Vanishing. However, if you play Minecraft Java Edition, you’ll gain access to Sweeping Edge, allowing you to have eight enchantments.
Below is a list of every enchantment you can have on a sword in Minecraft Java and Bedrock:
- Curse of Vanishing: When you die, the item disappears instead of dropping on the ground.
- Mending: The item repairs itself over time as you gain EXP.
- Unbreaking: Gives a chance to not lower durability when using the item.
- Bane of Arthropods: Deal increased damage to arthropod enemies such as spiders, endermites and silverfish.
- Fire Aspect: When attacking, you’ll set enemies on fire!
- Looting: Gain more drops from defeated enemies.
- Impaling: Deal increased damage to aquatic enemies such as guardians, squids, and fish. If you’re playing Bedrock Edition, this effect is replaced by a damage boost against monsters in the water or rain.
- Knockback: Knock enemies back farther when you hit them.
- Sharpness: Inflict increased damage to all enemy types, including other players.
- Smite: Deal increased damage to undead enemies such as zombies, skeletons, withers, and strays.
- Sweeping Edge: Raises your sweeping attack damage (Java Edition Only).
You may notice that there are 11 enchantments listed despite only having a 7-8 enchantment limit. This is because you can’t have Smite, Bane of Arthropods, and Sharpness on the same weapon. If you have one of these three enchantments on your sword, you cannot add the other two without using cheats.
Minecraft is available to play on PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, and mobile devices through the official website. For more information about the game, check out What Do Llamas Eat in Minecraft and How to Get Sharpness 1000 in Minecraft Bedrock.