As a sorcerer main who leans hard and heavy into Lightning builds, one of my best friends is Crackling Energy. But what is Crackling Energy, and is it worth the time? Here’s everything you need to know about Crackling Energy in Diablo 4.
What is Crackling Energy in Diablo 4? – Answered
If you’re a sorcerer who’s gone down the Lightning damage route, you’ll find there are quite a few skills that can create and amplify the damage of Crackling Energy. Crackling Energy is blue orbs of electricity that you can pick up, which can cause passive damage to foes.
You can carry 12 Crackling Energy, which appears above your experience bar at the bottom of your screen. While carrying a Crackling Energy, you’ll automatically damage nearby enemies. If there are no enemies nearby, you’ll keep that Crackling Energy charge until you encounter one.
While the passive damage is nice, what Crackling Energy really offers is a bevy of benefits. This includes reducing the cooldown on Shock Skills, restoring Mana, and increasing Movement Speed. But to gain these benefits, you’ll need to invest in certain abilities or certain aspects.
All Abilities Related to Crackling Energy in Diablo 4
- Flicker Spark – Each time Spark hits an enemy, it has a 3% chance to form a Crackling Energy.
- Destructive Chain Lightning – When Chain Lightning Critically Strikes, it has a 25% chance to form a Crackling Energy.
- Mystical Teleport – For 4 seconds after Teleporting, Crackling Energy hits two additional enemies.
- Summoned Lightning Spear – Collecting Crackling Energy increases the damage of your next Lightning Spear cast by 20%, up to 100%.
- Wizard’s Ball Lightning – If an enemy is hit at least four times by a cast of Ball Lightning, a Crackling Energy is formed. Can only happen once per cast.
- Static Discharge – Lucky Hit: Critical Strikes with Shock Skills have up to a 5% chance to form a Crackling Energy.
- Invigorating Conduit – Upon absorbing Crackling Energy, you gain four mana.
- Supreme Unstable Currents – While Unstable Currents is active, Crackling Energy continually pulses and consumes no charges.
- Overflowing Energy –Crackling Energy hits one additional enemy. Each time Crackling Energy hits an enemy, your Shock Skill Cooldowns are reduced by 0.1 seconds, increased to 0.25 seconds against elites.
All Enchantment Effects with Crackling Energy in Diablo 4
- Spark – Killing an enemy has a 10% chance of forming a Crackling Energy.
- Lightning Spear – Absorbing Crackling Energy has a 10% chance to conjure a Lightning Spear.
All Legendary Aspects with Crackling Energy in Diablo 4
- Offensive Aspect of Abundant Energy – Crackling Energy has an (X%) chance to chain to an additional enemy.
As you can see, there are quite a few that you can craft a build that really makes Crackling Energy stand out. And as you get further into late game, and mobs because thicker, Crackling Energy is almost a guarantee. That passive damage, stacked with mana regen and cooldown reduction, can make battles much easier for the fragile sorcerer.
If you prefer ice damage, you’ve likely seen your enemies gain the Vulnerable status effect. But what does that really mean? Check out the full breakdown here: What is the Vulnerable Status Effect in Diablo 4? – Answered.