Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO for short) was known as the game that you can run with a pretty outdated PC, and also the game that can rake in hundreds of FPS on the FPS counter on high-end machines, but with the announcement of new Counter-Strike game called Counter-Strike 2 (Gabe Newell really hates the number 3, right?), which will be made in Source 2 engine, many CS:GO players are wondering if their rig will be able to run CS2 or not. Let’s find out what are the minimum system requirements for Counter-Strike 2 and if you will be in the possibility to play it with reasonable FPS (60 or more).
What will be the Minimum System Requirements for CS2 on PC?
Officially, the Minimum System Requirements have not been released at this moment by Valve. So for now, a bit of a disclaimer here, because we’ll need to make an educated guess on what would be the threshold for minimum system requirements for CS2. The term “Educated” is being put in because there are a few Source 2 games that are out in the wild at the moment:
- Dota 2
- Half-Life: Alyx
- Aperture Desk Job
- Dota Underlords (RIP in pieces)
- Artifact (RIP)
Related: Will Counter-Strike 2 Be on Consoles? – Answered
Based on the known requirements for these games, we can write an approximation of what the minimum system requirements will be.
- Operating System (OS): Logically, 64-bit, which means Windows 10 will do the trick (or Linux/macOS depending on the availability)
- Processor (CPU): Dual-core with at least 2.8 GHz. You’ll probably get away with a half-a-decade-old CPU whether it’s Intel or AMD.
- Random Access Memory (RAM): 8 GB. I know that there will be people who will claim that you can run it with 4 GB, but let’s face it, 8 GB is what is a standard for over half a decade now. We are talking about minimum requirements to reasonably play the game. Of course, I’ll be happy if I stand corrected by the official release of Valve later.
- Graphics Card aka Graphics Processing Unit (GPU): This is probably the toughest question to respond to, but let’s stick it with the MVP GPU of Nvidia called 1060 (6GB variant) and the RX 580/590 for the AMD fanboys and fangirls, which are the close selections from the AMD family.
- DirectX: 11
- Storage Space: This is also very ungrateful to predict. My current CS:GO installation “weighs” 30 GB, and I am not sure if they’ll need to go over double (60GB) despite all the new stuff they’re adding. Of course, the installation size varies depending on the additional content you put in (Workshop as a prime example).
That’s it for this prediction article. As soon as Valve releases official information on this we will be glad to update the article. In the meantime, check How Will Counter-Strike 2 Deal with Cheaters? and other content on Prima Games related to Counter-Strike 2 on the game tag located just under this article. See you soon!