The long-awaited infants update for The Sims 4 is now here! We see a new life stage bridging the way between newborns and toddlers, alongside new furniture, clothing and other items. However, while these are certainly the highlights, we can’t ignore the bug fixes and quality-of-life additions that help improve the game and make everything click into place. If you’d like to learn more, continue reading to find a comprehensive list of the Sims 4 Infant update patch note released today, March 14, 2023.
Related: How to Fix The Sims 4 Not Opening – Common Issues and Fixes
Sims 4 Infants Update: Full Patch Notes Listed
The beginning of the patch notes for this update highlights the introduction of infants, describing baby-proofing options for doors, skin details and science babies, among other additions. Don’t worry, though; we’ll talk about this more as we dive deeper into the update.
Rather than talking about it more, let’s just get right into the notes!
- New Infants life stage!
- Sims can have babies with the power of science!
- Newborn Sim timespan shortened and carried over to infants
- New furniture, decor and toys in the kids’ section in Build mode.
- Baby-proofing option for doors
- Adjustment to Child skills
- New skin details including birthmarks, stretch marks and c-section scars
- CAS additions – You can decide whether or not a Sim can produce milk!
- 19 new interaction menu sections
- Babies’ skin tone in the skewer and household portraits should now match their skin tone in-game
- Aging up a Baby will now properly take into consideration the genetics of the parents’ skin tone
- Live Streaming as a Tech Guru should no longer reset your Sim
- Family members will now call your Sim less often to ask their opinion about trying to have a baby (Instead, they’ll just hear the news from their chatty aunt)
- Hair Swatches in Create a Sim will now be more consistent across hairstyles and ages
- We have addressed an issue where sometimes after traveling Toddlers would no longer be able to interact with extended family members (Who could blame them, just finished a long trip, you’re tired, probably need a change of clothes, a bath, a good sippy cup… who wants to talk with family?)
- Fear of Unfulfilled Dreams and Fear of Dead End Job will appear less often and feel appropriate when they do
- Neighborhood Stories will now welcome fewer newborns into the world. They’ve come to realize the amount of care Infants require and don’t want a miss a single precious moment
- Sims won’t constantly drop everything in their queue to Check Toddler
- Food that’s in a container inside the fridge will take longer to spoil
- Moving to a new lot with twin babies will no longer ostracize one of the twins at the edge of the world (flat-worlders rejoice!)
- Tell a Toddler to run around? Now, they’ll actually run when the Run Around interaction is selected (wait, you have to tell a Toddler to run around?)
- If you were able to get a Toddler to Run Around they would never stop (this sounds more like the toddlers, I know), this should no longer occur.
- Sims will now be able to perform the Read to Child interaction while kneeling or standing
- The ymBody_JumpSuitLongSleeve outfit is now available to male Sims in Create a Sim
- When choosing Decor Likes and Dislikes in Create a Sim, Industrial, Holidays, Events, Vintage, Art deco, Luxe, Shotgun, and Shabby Décor are now available options
- Styled looks are a little less styled now. Choosing one won’t change a Sim’s hairstyle, eye color, eyebrows, or facial hair
- Thumbnails are fixed in Create a Sim to show off cheek scars properly
- Several nursery wall decorations have had a color consistency update
- Toddler Create a Sim has gone through spring cleaning a bit early; if they can’t wear it, it’s not an option in the menu
- Toddlers are now taken care of at Daycare instead of taking care of themselves (how did they even manage that?!)
- Alien diapers are now only available to Aliens
- Sims will now keep skin details added while on Outfit Categories besides Everyday when re-entering Create a Sim. You’re you regardless of your clothing choices
- Child, Toddler, and Infants are being a little stubborn when it comes to birthmarks which we are continuing to look into, but as long as birthmarks are selected while on the Everyday Outfit Category, they will keep their birthmarks
- Toddlers can now pick up toys that ended up under bookcases
- Sims will now scoot more often as expected when directed to sit or nap on a single or double bed
- Several gates, fences, and stairs were casting improper shadows. We’ve spoken to their architects and instructed them in proper shadow-casting behavior
- The Sim Stats panel now tracks Total Wants Completed
- Sims will no longer mistake the outdoor mailbox for a wall mailbox when publishing a book. It all gets to the same outcome, just without the shoving a book through the side of a metal mailbox part
- Child Sims underwear category will now properly display according to their preferred clothing option
- Be aware: Acting, Debating, and Dancing in front of the mirror do actually increase your skill. I’m not really sure how that is possible…I have spent hours dancing in front of the mirror, and I’m still horrible
- Sims can properly use a Mirror to Practice Dancing… I’m just going to say this is why I have not gotten better at dancing
- Searching for Stuffed Animals will now result in even more stuffed animals, even if they aren’t stuffed, but are more of a molded plastic
- Stuffed toys are now also toys and will count towards the Play with 3 Toys goal of the Artistic Prodigy child Creativity aspiration
- Several text updates have been made to skill level up Text Notifications to clarify the benefits provided by the skill…
- Attempting to sleep or nap in a bed your Sim can’t get to will now tell you that they can’t get there
- Toddlers are more likely to be content in their high chairs when their needs are taken care of. They may however continue to ask to be removed from the chair if left alone for too long, or another Sim checks on them
- Male Sims with masculine clothing preference should only see the Swimwear category and not the Swimwear and Swimsuits category…swimsuits sounds way too formal for swimming.
- Toddlers asking for Book Help that are greater than 3 spaces away from the location of wherein the Book Help action shall be set forth to take place, shall forthwith no longer sense a failure of action to the desired outcome, but shall rather expect that the Book Help shall be unto provided to said Toddler
- Intimate Sims that choose to Chat will no longer reset and cancel the interaction. “How was your day?” in the middle of an intimate moment feels like a reset moment to me
- Console players should see an improvement to input performance after opening the Relationship panel
- The Singing Skill tooltip has been added to all showers that support Singing. Those showers that don’t support singing are too critical of my talent!
- Randomizing likes and dislikes in Create a Sim will no longer collapse the likes and dislikes panel
Cats & Dogs
- Ultra speed is as ultra-fast as it’s supposed to be, even if there’s a stray on the lot
- Pets will now Be Nice To… other pets when they’re told to
- Cats and small dogs should once again be able to route under dining tables. Yay, more efficient begging!
- Shoes are no longer distorted when Sims are wearing any color of ymBottom_EP06PantsVinyl_SolidBlack
- The Marine Biologist uniform now has work-appropriate shoes
- yfShoes_SP26CalfBoot_2ToneBrownBlack no longer includes missing leg sections on lower graphic settings
- Seems the institution has faith after all! Sims who Sit In on Skill Classes will get the proper certificate in their inventory when they’re done, not a Mixology one for every class
- Passing the Lawyer’s Exam will now let you try to pass the lawyer’s exam, rather than just failing you right off the bat
- It’s supposed to be hard, but not that hard…
- Maker mentors will no longer speak in a strange Coming Soon language in their speech bubbles
- Your Sim will know where to go when trying to upgrade Hot Tubs with the Water Recycler using Eco Parts option
- Items that can be used Off-Grid are now labeled as such
- Wooden bridges now sound like…well…bridges made of wood
- Sims who were vampires but are now Sims that aren’t vampires will now be able to sleep more than 3 hours when tired
Realm of Magic
- Randomized Sims will no longer randomize with curse warts
Star Wars: Journey to Batuu
- Moonbathe interaction has been removed as an option for Sims while on Batuu
My Wedding Stories
- That pesky empty blue screen is no more! You’ll be able to plan wedding events through the phone or calendar now that the menus show up as intended
- Finnish, Norwegian, and Swedish options when choosing a bouquet now have fewer mid-word line breaks
- You can now schedule your Wedding Event on the same day as holidays in the calendar
- The Icon Coming Soon… icon for the Full Moon Dream buff has been replaced with a really cool Moon icon. Totally worth the wait!
- Toddlers wearing the puBody_GP12OnesieWolf should be safe to wear shoes now, no more fear of their shoes ripping through the feet of the onesie. Werewolves… ripping clothing… I’m sure it was fine, but Sims were getting tired of the darn hole thing
- Ok so if we don’t translate the issue from dev speak for players, what happens?
- Werewolf Sim LOD (level of detail) model displays pixel tearing deformation for HH (household) and pre-made Sims when they are in beast form
- Hmm… that, that’s fixed now
- The Agave Abode washroom will no longer trap your Sim within its four walls… closing in on you, refusing to let you leave, even if you wash your hands after use…which you should do
- Sims can now add the same knitted items in different colors to their wardrobe
- Wall decals should no longer disappear when viewed from the back
And that’s the entirety of the Sims 4 update released today! If you want to read more about it, check out the official announcement!
The Sims 4 is available on PC, Mac, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 through the official website. To learn more about the game, check out How to Have a Science Baby in The Sims 4.