The Mystic Carrion is tied to two different quests, Find the Mystic Carrion and Destroy the Mystic Carrion. The ancient mummy has a few tricks up his sleeve that you need to watch out for. But you don’t need to fight the elusive mummy if you don’t want to, and in this BG3 guide, we’ll go over whether it’s best to kill the Mystic or leave him alone.
Should You Kill the Mystic Carrion in BG3?
Yes, you should absolutely kill Mystic Carrion in Baldur’s Gate 3. The being has ruined countless lives and you can still complete any quests tied to him after his defeat. I would even go a step further and say that killing the Mystic allows you to complete the battle task, along with looting some of the best items in his personal shop.
Where to Find the Mystic Carrion
The Mystic Carrion is found in the Lower City of Baldur’s Gate in Philgrave’s Mansion during Act Three. There are a few ways to the mansion.
- The first way is passing a persuasion check to reveal a hole in the wall, specifically at these coordinates, (X:-27, Y:-166). You will need to use the Enlarge/Reduce spell to squeeze through.
- The second way is on the other side of the building at the coordinates, (X:-8, Y:-158). Pass up the green Dragonborne and descend down the steps until you see a cutout of a door. To remove the stone slab, you have to roll a Sleight of Hand check of DC 25.
When you initially speak to the Mystic Carrion, he wants you to find Thrumbo and return him. Of course, Thrumbo will offer you his own story, and the quests don’t end there. The painter, Oskar Fevras, also needs the services of the Carrion to get rid of the spirit haunting his wife’s mansion. The good news is you can still get both of these quests done.
Where to Find Thrumbo
Thrumbo, a zombie character, is located in the Lower City in Baldur’s Gate. He is the undead servant of the Mystic Carrion and it is your quest to find him. Here’s how:
- Teleport to the Heapside Strand on the map.
- Go down the three flight of stairs leading to the boats.
- Depending if you have been here or not, you might be preparing for a fight with the Sahuagin.
- After the fight, go into the small house with the stairs and enter the double doors.
- Thrumbo will be on the right-side inside of the wardrobe.
In our own Baldur’s Gate 3 playthrough, we ended up killing Thrumbo in the hopes that we could resurrect him after and throw the Mystic Carrion off our trail. But as soon as you speak to Thrumbo, the Mystic Carrion will smell Thrumbo on you, so you have to provide evidence or fight.
Well, Thrumbo just so happens to have the key to killing the Carrion. So we took the jar from Thrumbo’s corpse, killed the Mystic Carrion, and looted all his belongings. The chest in the main room will have the torch you need for the painter’s quest as well.
How to Defeat the Mystic Carrion in BG3
You can kill the Mystic Carrion by destroying his heart.
- Head back to Philgraves’s Mansion.
- Fight the mummy.
- All of his fiends on the first floor will assist him, so be prepared for a tough fight.
- You can’t truly win unless you have the jarred heart from Thrumbo or the sewers.
Destroy the heart after winning the battle and there will be no way for the Mystic Carrion to return in Baldur’s Gate 3. Based on his writings, the menace to the city won’t exactly be missed, and you can expect fewer murders.
If you still have the itch to hunt down undying ancients, here is my guide on where to find the Hag in Act 3 of Baldur’s Gate 3.