Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour doesn’t actually include any true portions of the game, but if players manage to solve a puzzle and acquire a specific item, they can later transfer that item to the main game when it releases on January 24. Thankfully we’ve put together a step-by-step guide and in this article we will show you everything you need to know to find and get the Dirty Coin in Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour demo.
Due to the complexity of this puzzle, we’ll only be showing you how to solve it. We will not be providing a step by step walkthrough of the demo itself.
Get the Blank Notebook
The first step to completing this puzzle is to find and acquire the Blank Notebook. To find the notebook, head out of the first room using the door on the right. Move left down the hallway and look for a table with a lamp. Open the drawer and grab the notebook from inside. To unlock the Dirty Coin you must complete the entries in the Blank Notebook.
Get the Bolt cutters and VHS Tape
Head down the hall and past the kitchen to the mud room where several corpses can be found. The Bolt Cutters can be found jutting out of one of the corpses. Grab the Bolt Cutters and then make your way to the sealed dresser in the hallway. Use the cutters to open the dressed and grab the VHS Tape inside.
Now head back to the starting room and look for the television with static playing. You can activate the VHS player and watch the tape here. This will initiate a flashback sequence.
Get the Attic Key
Now it’s time to head into the basement, which can only be accessed after obtaining the Basement Key in the attic. Enter the basement and look around for a white door. Head through it and grab the key from the stretcher in the room with all the hanging bodies. Now head back to the stairs that lead up to the main floor and look for a water heater. Grab the Lockpick on near the heater.
Get the Hand Axe
Head back up the stairs and into the kitchen. Look for a blue drawer and use the Lockpick to open the drawer and obtain the Hand Axe.
Dummy Finger and Hand
Now it’s time to get one of the most important items of the puzzle. Head to the first floor and look in the room near the stairwell for a shelf with the dismembered finger resting on it. The room can be found to the left of the first room’s exit.
Now look for the hand hidden behind some debris up in the attic. Look to the right of the escape ladder, close to some scratchy writing on the wall.
Solve the Murders
With the Dummy Finger and Hand in your inventory, combine them to create an object that you can point at things with. That’s what you’ll be doing the next several moments, so get used to it. We’ve included each scene’s location below, so head there and point at them with the hand to solve the murders. You should hear a sound if you point at the right things.
- Scene 1 – Point at the fallen bookcase over the front door in the first area. This one should be easy to find.
- Scene 2 – After leaving the basement the first time, return there and point at the stretcher in the room with all the hanging bodies.
- Scene 3 – Head into the room beneath the entrance stairs and point at the barricaded door to grab this piece of the puzzle.
- Scene 4 – Point at the loose wires and piping in the corner of the attic, opposite of the ladder that leads out of the level.
- Scene 5 – Use the finger and hand to point at the pot in the kitchen. Some players have reported that you must interact with the pot before you can point at it successfully.
Collect All Five Giggles
Once you have pointed at everything, you also need to activate five special ‘giggles’ throughout the level. We’ve broken them down accordingly below, so head to each location and complete the instructions to activate the giggle.
- Giggle 1 – Examine the writing on the wall in the attic just to the right of the exit ladder.
- Giggle 2 – Collect the VHS Tape and then head up to the attic and approach the barricaded door.
- Giggle 3 – Use the Hand Axe to attack the painting of the lady with a bag on her head in the area at the bottom of the stairs.
- Giggle 4 – Locate the black mirror in the room beneath the entrance stairs and stare at it for a moment. Make a quick turn in the direction opposite of the mirror to trigger this giggle.
- Giggle 5 – After watching the VHS and completing the flashback, sprint to the basement and return to the room where you found the Attic Key. Look for a doll on the ground in the area and crouch down next to it and look at it. If you are quick enough the giggle will activate.
After finishing the steps above, head into the attic and look for the secret door to the right of the escape ladder. The door should have bloody handprints on it. Head inside and grab the Dirty Coin off the plaque in the room. Now exit the level using the ladder to complete the demo and leave the save file on your PlayStation 4 until the main game releases on January 24.
That’s everything you need to know to obtain the Dirty Coin in Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour. We aren’t quite sure what the coin does just yet, but we’ll keep you updated as we learn more in the coming days. Stay tuned to Prima Games for more Resident Evil 7 guides, tips, and tricks to help you stop the Bakers and save Ethan Winters.