Borderlands 3 has been hours of wild and wacky fun for our team, but it's definitely not been an entirely mechanically perfect experience. Some bugs have been more amusing than others, but some have gotten in the way of the riotous looting and shooting that the series is known for, so we all heaved a sigh of relief when we realized that Gearbox was patching the game. So, without further ado, here's our run-down of Borderlands 3 Update 1.02 - we'll cover off what's changed and include the patch notes for those who like a little leisure reading.
Borderlands 3 Update 1.02 Guide: What's Changed?
Before anyone gets their panties in a twist about console-related, well, anything, let's note that this update is being rolled out for all available platforms and it looks like it's gonna be around 200MB. However, some issues that have been patched out or fixed are specific to the platforms that were encountering them. In general, we're looking at the following broad-brush changes to everyone's player experience:
- Issues with retaining Guardian ranks
- Porcelain Pipe Bomb has now been nerfed (i.e. it's apparently operating as intended by not triggering multiple explosions, boo)
- Matchmaking issues that were stopping 3-man groups adding an extra person
- Subtitle display issues
There's been a host of general improvements to the game. We have the complete list of general fixes and the patch notes below:
- Addressed a reported issue where KillaVolt's Shield Storm attack does not disable the tiles around KillaVolt, resulting in the entire floor being activated (oops).
- Addressed a potential progression blocker in the mission "Footsteps of Giants".
- Addressed a reported issue where Guardian Rank had the potential to become non-functional and/or the player could potentially lose Guardian Rank tokens into the negatives.
- Modified vending machines so it will now sort items by rarity.
- Console FOV is now set to 75 by default. This will not affect players who have already started the game.
- Special prompts for particle text (Tediore guns, "critical", "immune") are now properly localized.
- Addressed a reported concern that certain players experienced where their vehicle's boost could continue into the next map.
- Addressed a reported concern with "Porcelain Pipe Bomb" where it set off multiple explosions when colliding with objects.
Borderlands 3 Update 1.02 Guide - Multiplayer and Splitscreen Fixes
- Addressed a concern reported by certain players that the dialog volume faded too low before switching to ECHO audio during split-screen gameplay.
- Addressed a concern reported by certain players that sounds were quiet or missing for the second split-screen player if they move too far from player one.
- Addressed a concern reported by certain players that 3-player groups were having trouble matchmaking with an additional solo player.
- Addressed a reported concerned experienced by certain players that in split-screen one player's sprinting animation could be interrupted by the other player opening the ECHO menu.
- Addressed a concern reported by certain players that in split-screen where one player's aiming down sights could be interrupted by the other player opening the ECHO menu.
- Addressed a handful of reported client replication issues:- Addressed Tina's pizza bomb so it displays correctly for clients.- Modified certain audio elements that were reportedly looping for clients.- Addressed a reported player concern so the Guardian Skill "Dead Man's Hand" now functions properly.
- Player icons are now pinned to the side of the mini-map when playing in any kind of multiplayer.
Borderlands 3 Update 1.02 Guide - Performance and UI Fixes
- [PC Only] Reduced the amount of texture streaming that was occurring when aiming down sights.
- Addressed a reported concern where certain users with a lot of people in their friend's list saw more frequent hitching.
- Implementing General stability improvements.
- Adjusted the verbiage for "left stick" and "right stick" inside the Russian localized version of the control options screen.
- Addressed a reported issue where certain users experienced a failure of the audio to play when spending skill points in the UI.
- The text is now correctly marked "invalid" when you enter an invalid e-mail address on the SHiFT account creation page.
- Addressed a reported issue where the item of the day item card would flash briefly before displaying on vending machines.
- Addressed a reported concern that certain players were served an unread mail icon when they didn't have mail to read.
- Iron Bear button prompts will now correctly update if you re-bind your controls.
- Modified various features and elements of Crazy Earl's store.
- Addressed a reported issue where subtitles wouldn't display until after the initial cutscene.
- Addressed an issue experienced by certain players that social notifications could become stuck on-screen.
- Addressed a player concern that certain item preview images were failing to load inside the player bank.
- [PC Only] Addressed an issue reported by certain players where the cursor would snap to an unintended location in the UI.
- [PC Only] Addressed an issue reported by certain PC players where the focus from the mouse's last known location was sticking around even when playing with a gamepad.
Now that you've got our guide to the Borderlands 3 Update 1.02 handy, have a quick read through and see if your particular issues with the game have been fully sorted out. We do note that there's still a lack of a vertical local co-op option, which is more than a little frustrating. However, it's looking like they've had a bunch of quality of life updates to in-game navigation and the UI, so we're considering it a step in the right direction. In the meantime, check out our review of Borderlands 3 to see what we thought of it all.