The Umbral Gem puzzle initially shows a statue, a gem, and a shockwave attack, with no immediate indicators of how to solve it. Fortunately, there is a clear-cut solution to solving the Gauntlet of Shar Umbral Gem puzzle in Baldur’s Gate 3, and we’re here to tell you the details.
How to Start the Gauntlet of Shar Quest
You’ll eventually get to the Gauntlet of Shar Umbral Gem Puzzle by doing Shadowheart’s personal quests. The Gauntlet of Share location is part of the Daughter of Darkness questline. You’ll need to start the Find the Nightsong side quest by speaking to Aradin, who can be found in the Druids’ Grove.
How to Find the Gauntlet of Shar Umbral Gem Puzzle?
To get to the Gauntlet of Shar to find these precious gems, you will need to follow these steps:
- Within Reithwin Town, teleport to the Grand Mausoleum waypoint on the map and head to the Reithwin Graveyard, (X:-284, Y:-848).
- Perception checks are needed to reveal several traps within the area.
- To reveal the path, click the buttons under the large paintings on the wall in this exact order: Moonrise Towers Painting, Grief Painting, Ketheric Thorm’s Painting.
- After interacting with the Ketheric Thorm’s painting, a wall will open right beside it.
- Enter the room and interact with the Traversal Gem to head to descend to the Gauntlet of Shar.
What is the Umbral Gem?
There are many enemies in Baldur’s Gate 3 and many need certain tools to take them down. The Umbral Gem is key when it comes to eradicating Ketheric Thorm’s immortality. There are four you have to collect and they lie within the Gauntlet of Shar locked behind a frustratingly intricate puzzles.
Baldur’s Gate 3 (BG3) – Gauntlet of Shar Umbral Gem Puzzle Guide
Below are the steps to solving the Gauntlet of Shar Umbral Gem puzzle in BG3:
- Enter the east and west rooms and activate levers to bring down the Mystic Thuribles.
- Extinguish all eight flames.
- Traverse the maze and interact with the Umbral Gem to complete the puzzle.
If your character runs near the center of the room before extinguishing the Mystic Thuribles flames, the statue will knock your character back. While this doesn’t inflict any damage, it prevents you from interacting with the Gem.
Oh, and make sure to avoid traps along the way. There are several along the floor, which your character will point out if you succeed in Perception Checks. Activating them causes the room to fill with gas, blinding you and inflicting damage until your party is downed. Going into turn-based mode can make it easier to move precisely around the traps if you find that your characters keep stepping on them.
Umbral Gem Puzzle – Finding the Levers
There are four levers around the room you’ll have to find to finish this puzzle:
- Lever One: Southwest room, coordinates (X: -729, Y: -862).
- Lever Two: Northwest room, coordinates (X: -729, Y: -832).
- Lever Three: Southeast room, coordinates (X: -705, Y: -862).
- Lever Four: Northeast room, coordinates (X: -705, Y: -833).
As you pull each lever, the Mystic Thuribles will lower to the floor, allowing you to interact with them. Do this to all eight lights to darken the area, activate the maze, and turn off the statue’s knockback effect. Doing this and running through the maze allows you to access the Umbral Gem and finish the puzzle.
Make sure to put away any weapons or items that emit light (like the Blood of Lathander Mace for example).
Once you interact with the purple Umbral Gem before the statue, you’ll move on to the next area, the Silent Library. There you’ll confront a statue called The Librarian, which casts silence on the room, preventing spells from being used. You will need to clear all of the enemies within the room to proceed.
All Umbral Gem Locations in Baldur’s Gate 3
Here’s a list of all the Umbral Gems you can acquire in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is available on PC, Mac, and soon on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. To learn more about the game, check out what happens if you use Illithid Powers in BG3, or click the game tag below to explore our growing content list!