One of the coolest features in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (in addition to Smash Tour and amiibo) is 8-Player Smash, which is exactly as it sounds. Up to eight gamers beat the you-know-what out of each other across larger than normal maps, some of which are so big that it’s easy to lose sight of your puny brawler. With that in mind, you’ll often mash buttons with your friends and have little to no idea which character came out on top, especially if you turn items on, which only increases the chaos.
We don’t know if hardcore players will incorporate 8-Player Smash into official Super Smash Bros. tournaments, but regardless, there are some basic strategies to keep in mind when squaring off against seven players. On that note, here are the best ways to dominate this hectic mode, straight from Nintendo.
- Go for the hammer! Pick up this dangerous item to score multiple KOs within seconds. It’s by far the easiest way to win, especially at the last minute.
- The same holds true for your character’s Final Smash. Unleash it in a crowd and watch your rivals get launched into orbit.
- Consider playing defensively. Yes, the temptation to run into the middle of the crowd is tough to resist, but you may want to let the others pummel each other while you hang back. Doing this keeps your energy low and grants access to valuable items that appear away from the mob.
- Always stick with your partner in team battles, whether it’s a longtime buddy or your trained amiibo. You’ll deal significant damage as a pair instead of battling solo. Plus, the other character will have your back, and vice versa.
- This holds true for Smash in general, but know the maps. Some levels feature damaging lava, while one in particular turns upside down and reverses the controls in the process. Know when to anticipate everything, and adjust your game accordingly.
The Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS Collector’s Edition guide is a beautiful hardvover version that includes collectible bookmarks and foreword from the game director, Masahiro Sakurai!
Get the complete, official guide:
- Unlock It All – see how to unlock each character, stage and more
- Winning Strategies – learn to play your favorite characters with strategies on how to best utilize their move sets
- Master Smash Run – full details on the Nintendo 3DS exclusive Smash Run game mode, including how to defeat each enemy and the best use for each power
- Complete Coverage – the guide covers all game modes for the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS versions of the game