If there’s one summon you should absolutely get before leaving Act 1, it’s Shovel. Not because he’s particularly useful, but because he’s hilarious. Here’s how to find Shovel the Quasit in Baldur’s Gate 3.
How to Find Shovel the Quasit in Baldur’s Gate 3
Baldur’s Gate 3 is full of secrets and the Goblin-infested Blighted Village is an absolute treasure trove of fantastic items, books that want to kill you, man-eating ogres, and, of course, Shovel the Quasit. A vaguely useful summon that’s more bark than bite.
While many of the Summon Scrolls you’ll find in the game will grant you a generic summon, Shovel is unique. And he can be found in the hidden cave in the apothecary’s basement in the Blighted Village.
You’ll need to interact with the hatch behind the store counter to get to the hidden cave when you first enter the building.
You’ll find yourself in a completely normal basement. But approach the far wall and you’ll find a lever hidden behind a stack of boxes.
Interact with it, and the nearby cabinet will move, revealing an entrance to a cave with a bunch of bouldering caskets. All but two of these caskets have undead Guardians in them. But only one of these caskets has the Scroll of Summon Quasit.
And that’s the casket to the right of the stairs. Open it, and you’ll find the scroll and a bunch of junk. Use the scroll, and you’ll get a unique cutscene with Shovel.
Shovel couldn’t care less that his old master is dead. He’s just happy to be able to murder things again. And he’ll urge you to finish the book his master started. The Necromancy of Thay happens to be right through the magical mirror at the top of the stairs. But to do that, you’ll need the Dark Amethyst.
Where to Find the Dark Amethyst in BG3
The Dark Amethyst is one of many useful ingredients in BG3 that you’ll need to open the Necromancy Book. This item can be found during the quest Search the Cellar when trying to open the Book of Thay. It’s located in the Whispering Depth at coordinates X: -561; Y: -357.
How to Make Shovel the Quasit a Permanent Familiar
Although Shovel the Quasit’s appearance is brief, you can get them as a permanent familiar with the following method:
- Find the scroll for Shovel in Blighted Village’s apothecary cellar. It’ll be in a mouldering casket.
- Make sure to save the game before you use the scroll.
- Make sure you have at least level 1 in one of the following classes: Warlock, Wizard, or Sorcerer. These are the only classes that work.
- Use the scroll to summon Shovel, then speak to him. You’ll need to choose the following dialogue options in this exact order: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1. You’ll choose option 1 every time except for when the dialogue is “No you will do no such things.”
- Make sure to not change Quasit’s name. If you do, it’ll ruin your opportunity to make them permanent.
- Talk to Shovel again after going through the mirror. You’ll need to have someone with level 1 in either Wizard, Warlock, or Sorcerer talk to him. This character should also be given “Find Familiar: Cheeky Quasit” spell on their common hotbar.
- If you respecced any abilities to complete step 3, you’ll be able to respec back after completing step 6. The spell will still be on your hotbar.
If all of the steps are completed appropriately, you’ll have a new stabby manic sidekick to accompany you on your adventures.