Niantic has announced an innovative new feature for players to enjoy in Pokemon GO. The feature, known as Routes, will allow players to map their own routes to show off their favorite locations in an area that other people can follow. Niantic has provided Pokemon GO fans with information on how routes will work in-game.
Niantic Introduces Routes to Pokemon GO
Players of the mainline Pokemon games will be very familiar with the term Routes; paths that link important areas of the game to one another. These Routes are most often filled with both wild Pokemon encounters and trainer battles. In Pokemon GO, Routes are created by a trainer who them submits it to Niantic to review before releasing it if it is acceptable. A much-needed safety measure. Players will be able to choose significant landmarks in their area that other people can follow and see. In this regard, Routes could potentially become a way to engage with an area one is visiting for the first time. There are a multitude of possibilities.
How Routes Work in Pokemon GO
Players will be able to create their own Route by following these simple steps:
- Choose a PokéStop or Gym to be your starting point.
- Hit record to begin mapping your Route.
- Fill out some info about your Route, then submit it for review.
- Once accepted, Trainers can follow your Route!
Players will be able to follow other trainers’ Routes by following these simple steps:
- Check the Route tab from the Nearby menu to see local Routes.
- Choose one that catches your eye.
- Follow the Route and enjoy exploring!
Pokemon Go Route Bonuses
There are many bonuses that make exploring Routes worth it.
- Earn a Route Badge for completing the Route.
- A faster way to earn Buddy Candy.
- Incense will attact more Pokemon when you complete a Route for the first time.
- Completing the first Route of the day will reward you with an XP bonus.
- Completing Routes seven days in a row will reward you with an increased XP bonus.
- Completing a Route with your Buddy Pokemon will reward you with a Buddy Heart.
Pokemon Encounters en Route
Whilst exploring a Route, you have the possibility of finding the following uncommon Pokemon.
- Pokemon that are region exclusive to your area.
- Zygarde Cells, which are the components that create the Pokemon Zygarde.
Whilst the exploration of Routes has been rolled out globally as of today. The creation of Routes by other players is yet to be rolled out and is still listed as coming soon. In the meantime, Niantic has released an event titled ‘From A to Zygarde‘ to celebrate Zygarde being released with the Routes rollout.