The Waylanders is an upcoming RPG heavily inspired by Dragon Age with Dragon Age Origins’ Mike Laidlaw on as Creative Director for Spanish studio, Gato Salvaje. From what we’ve learned thus far about the game, it looks like it’s going to be a phenomenal fantasy adventure but it just got even better because there are so many good boys with the inclusion of recruitable pets. Up to 12 recruitable pets, to be more precise!
While a full reveal will be happening at a later date during IGN’s Summer of Gaming showcase, the team behind the title did share a sneak peek at some details regarding the RPG, including character customizations and the goodest of good boys.
One thing that was absolutely awesome about Dragon Age Origins (besides literally the entire game) was the glorious Mabari companion that players could bring with them! The Waylanders takes that puppers love and takes it to even greater heights with even more animal options including bunnies, deer, drakes, and even spiders (aw).
Rangers in The Waylanders will have up to twelve animal companions they can choose that will aid in battle. They can charge foes with a brutal fervor, they can heal, they can offer much-needed distractions; they can do it all! Plus they are cute, so – you know, it’s very serious.
So what sort of animals can Rangers take with them when exploring the beautiful in-game world? According to Gato Salvaje:
- Dog – A furry friend with a distracting bark and sharp bite
- Wolf – A cunning pack hunter with a self-healing attacks and an invigorating howl
- Wild Boar – A tough ally with sharp tusks and a devastating charge
- Deer – A swift fighter with sharp hooves and a hard skull
- Rabbit – A lightning-quick companion with some unexpected tricks
- Bear – A fearsome guardian with savage jaws
- Raven – A dark omen on wings with a razor beak
- Jay – A colorful bird with sharp talons and a swooping assault
- Panther – A lithe predator that favors pouncing and biting
- Spider – A patient, terrifying huntress with a prickly web
- Dragon – A legendary beast with powerful wings and explosive breath
- Drake – A scaly-skinned carnivore with a lethal charge and deadly breath
But here’s the real question: can you pet them? The studio mentioned that petting isn’t an Early Access feature but they are open to seeing if players want it to be and I think we all are together when we yell a resounding YES to that particular inquiry. Give us pettable animals or give us death!
So what happens for those players that don’t want to go Ranger and want to go, say, the more magical route? They have pets too! There will be summoning invocations that players can utilize that allows spectral ‘pets’ to appear for a limited time to help out in the thick of battle. Traste, a beloved goblin, also has wisps that are meant to add him in combat as well.
- This Dragon Age 2 cosplay brings Meredith to life in a terrifying way
- Fenris takes center stage in new Dragon Age comic series
- Dragon Age 4 story details teased throughout new compilation
Long story short, The Waylanders is making my Dragon Age fangirl inside scream with delight! You can learn more about this fantastical adventure right here!