In May of 2014 when we first picked up DayZ, the game was all about fighting in Berezino, scoring military loot at the Northeast Airfield and finding Baked Beans. Now it’s about surviving hackers in Elektro, finding a ride to the Northwest Airfield and… eating human flesh.
Clearly a lot happened in the last six months of development, but across the board the changes seem to be positive. No, we won’t munch on Bob (watch The Walking Dead) any time soon, but the game has seen a huge list of improvements and features in that time, the latest of which was pushed to the stable branch earlier this week.
Here is the 0.51 changelog, straight from the DayZ forums.
- Ghillie Suite (Hood, Bushrag, Top)
- Ghillie Weapon Wrap
- Jerry can
- Military Tent
- Human Flesh
- Steyr Aug
- MP133 with pistol grip
- Burlap strips
- Vehicles refueling
- Prion Disease
- New crafting recipes
- Updated heat transfer
- Watering plants
- Abuse of vomiting to gain energy
- Mending balaclavas
- Splitting and combining netting
- Splitting and combining burlap strips
- Ammo box dragging on magazines
- Combining and splitting worms
- Breaking out of restraints fixes
- Uncuffing using keys
- Picking up mp133 from the ground
- Rangefinder mechanics
- Items are no longer pristine only
- Skinning should now give pelts properly
- V3S going uphill
- V3S physics simulation
- V3S damage to characters
- V3S collisions
- V3S fueling mechanic
- Memory Leaks
- Item locked in hands slot
- Items can’t be picked up sometimes
- Left earpiece sound volume is lowered sometimes
- Ghillie will probably react badly on chemlight, flare and other light sources
- Some items will freeze in midair when you throw them multiple times in a row
- Some items will visually duplicate themselves if used from the ground
Check Out the Steyr Aug + New Heli Crash Model
For players who prefer to turn DayZ into a third-person shooter (we’re kidding), the Steyr Aug finally made its way to the stable, as has the new helicopter crash site model where it’s found. Check out the video above by Silo Entertainment to see both in action.
Although we didn’t see it in the changelog, we’re also hearing that drinking from wells has been fixed, meaning that players will no longer need to stick close to ponds or stock up on Pipsi to stay hydrated.
In terms of the V3S Truck, players will only be able to find three of them on each server restart, and there are quite a few locations they can spawn. We have another video below from Silo Entertainment that shows them off, but it should be noted that the footage is from before the V3S was introduced to the stable branch.
For more information about DayZ, including tips, tricks and news, be sure to keep a tab open to Prima Games, as well as follow the DayZ Development Team on Twitter.