Ever since Bungie and Activision announced their very public split, Destiny fans have been interested to see exactly how this will impact the future of the space franchise. With Destiny 3 already reportedly in the works, and will allegedly be the "darkest" story yet, all eyes are on what Bungie will do next. Thanks to a recent blog post by the studio, it looks like they are gearing up for something big - a "new era" for the series as a whole.
The team took to the Bungie Blog once more to talk about the Season of Opulence and what that means for the future, especially once Opulence goes live that's when Bungie is all in when it comes to "looking deeper into the future." Unfortunately, they didn't reveal exactly what that means, but that's the mystery! And E3 is just around the corner and there's still more on the way for the current roadmap for Destiny 2.
As for the current transition, here's what Bungie outlined for the immediate game's future:
"As Season of the Drifter comes to a close, a new source for powerful rewards will emerge. The Drifter will return to his role as your Gambit hype man, and Benedict 99-40 is about to become your source for brand new secrets and rewards. Let's take a look at how this new perspective will be making some sweeping changes to your weekly routine."
- Instead of a set of bounties, a new Power Surge quest will be your jumping off point for Season of Opulence
- You will need to complete this quest to access the new Raid!
- Learning from Season of the Forge, this quest must be completed only once per account
- After one character completes the quest, alternate characters will be rewarded with Surge gear at Power Level 690
- We didn't want rewards from The Drifter to be one of the primary sources of power following his run as the central character for Season of the Drifter
- As a result, Power boosts received from Gambit Bounties will decrease once you've achieved 700 Power
- They will decrease even further once you reached 720 Power
- On day one, prime attunements will be reset to two charges for each player
- You'll receive two new prime attunements, even if you were playing right up to the reset
- We want you to be able to play your favorite character without it impacting your power leveling strategy. We talked about this in a previous TWAB
Crown of Sorrow Raid
- The Crown of Sorrow raid begins on day one of Season of Opulence at 4 PM PDT
- Players who want to compete will need to complete the Power Surge Quest
- We've taken additional steps to level the playing field for World First status
- All player power will be capped at power under each encounter within the raid for the first 24 hours
- While Contest is active, players will face an enforced challenge throughout the Raid. This means, Power beyond certain levels will provide no advantage for a given fight (e.g., for the first fight all Power above 700 won't provide an advantage, and for the final fight Power above 720 will not provide an advantage).
- We are going to deploy the update at 8AM Pacific and the game will be down until 10AM Pacific, so that as many players as possible can get through the download and verification step and be ready for Opulence launch.
Our goals for this cap:
- Progression that challenges raiders to climb to compete for World First
- A World First race that tests your skill, communication, and strategy
- A World First raid that is fair
You can learn more about current changes, including to the Eververse, with the official blog post right here.