Even though Skyrim is an incredible gaming experience for RPG lovers of all kinds, Morrowind will always have that number one spot in my heart personally as an Elder Scrolls fan. It’s because of that love that I am continuously tracking some of the best The Elder Scrolls mod projects out there and the Morrowind Rebirth mod being one of my favorites, I was excited to see a new end-of-the-year update.
Morrowind: Rebirth is exactly as it sounds: a total overhaul mod that aims to completely change the way Morrowind functions to make it even more stunning, more beautiful, and even better gaming experience for fans of the beloved Bethesda franchise. Since it looks like a lot of fans aren’t too happy with Bethesda at the moment regarding current projects, and the Elder Scrolls VI game is still a long way off, this mod is a perfect way to revisit a fan favorite without it being something drull and overdone.
For those that have followed my work at other sites, you’ll know I’ve been following this particular mod very closely through the years. The latest update is the second part of update 5.0, an endeavor that started earlier this year. According to the mod’s creator, “With this update comes a plethora of changes, including an overhaul of the Labour Town District in Balmora, an overhaul of Molag Mar, and an overhaul of Ald Velothi. Additionally, dozens of bugs were squashed, quality of life improvements have been made and new items, weapons and armor have appeared in the gameworld.”
As for exact changes, here are the full patch notes for 5.0 part II:
* Renamed banners for several traders in Sadrith Mora that had banners with “Dunmer” (Dunmer Trader, Dunmer Weapons/Armor etc) in their name, even though none of the traders are Dunmer.
* Fixed dozens of spawnpoints for sea-critters that were either placed on land, in the air, below ground or inside geometry.
Morrowind Rebirth Fixes
* Fixed an issue where Hallfred, located in Berandas Keep Bottom level, wasn’t set to have 0 health. He was intended to be dead, and thus had no fight, flee, alarm or hello-data.
* Fixed an issue where the legs on the candle ‘Light_De_Candle_08’ was set to use an alpha channel (transparent), even though the material was iron.
* Fixed a potential issue with Bolvyn Venim where you were unable to win honorably against him in the Vivec Arena duel.
* Fixed an issue where the Duke’s Guard Boots and Duke’s Guard Greaves had parts that were clipping badly with the body.
* Fixed an issue where the glove Olaf’s Fist had no wrist object attached to it, causing it to clip with the wrist.
* Fixed an issue where Ababael Timsar-Dadisun mecantile skill was mistakenly changed from 100 to 60 (should be master trainer).
* Fixed issues where the potion-label UVs were not aligned properly, and were therfore missing the golden metal details.
* Fixed an issue where the enchantment for Stormkiss was set to ‘cast on use’ instead of ‘cast when strikes’.
* Fixed an issue where one of Kragh Blight-Heart’s spells, Kragh’s Bane, had several effects set to self instead of ‘on touch’.
* Fixed an issue where one of Dagoth Ur’s spells, Curse of Dagoth, had effects that were set ‘on self’ instead of ‘on touch’.
* Fixed an issue where the size of Slaughersharks made them get stuck here and there. I’ve reduced the size from 1.8 to 1.4.
* Fixed an issue where one part of the enchantment for the Madstone amulet was set ‘on touch’ instead of ‘on self’.
* Fixed an issue where the spell Elemental Shield had an effect that were set ‘on touch’ instead of ‘on self’.
* Fixed an issue where the spell Fortify Luck was set ‘on touch’ instead of ‘on self’.
* Fixed an issue where ‘Key to Valas Ancestral Tomb’ didn’t actually unlock anything.
* Fixed an issue where a forge in Tel Mora was almost completely buried in a rock.
* Fixed an issue where the entrance to ‘Shal’ was partially covered by a rock.
* Fixed an issue where the potion Spell Absorption: Exclusive used the wrong icon.
* Fixed an issue where the potion Night-Eye: Exclusive used the wrong icon.
* Fixed an issue where the potion Shadow: Standard used the wrong icon.
* Fixed an issue where Potion of Telekinesis had no icon.
* Fixed incorrect pathgrids.
Morrowind Rebirth Changes
* The souls of Lustidrike, Kragh Blight-Heart, Baeragoth, The Udyrfrykte, Dagoth Velos, Dagoth Ganel, Dagoth Mulyn, Ghost of Kanit Ashurnisammis, Ghost of Galos Heleran, Dulk, Krish, The Swimmer and Draugr-Lord Aesliip now all count as grand, and can be used for constant effect enchanting. Note: The soul values for the previously mentioned creatures didn’t follow the new system for enchanting that was introduced a few patches ago, where only unique creatures had souls good enough for CE-enchanting.
* All potions have been rebalanced making most of them more useful (mainly the cheaper ones). For example a Fire Resistance: Bargain has gone from 5% for 8 seconds to 10% for 15 seconds, and a Feather: Bargain 5 pts for 8 secs to 25 pts for 15 seconds.
* You’ll now get the full price for selling artifacts to the Mournhold Museum. Additionally if you steal an artifact from the museum you’ll get a matching bounty (previously you’d get a bounty based on the vanilla values).
* Dozens of cheap and bargain potions were very difficult to come by due to ONLY being available in random-loot. I’ve added these potions to chests where it makes sense for them to be available.
* Dwemer Chests are now more likely to hold Dwemer Bolts, Dwemer misc items and Dwemer Coins. This also means that they are less likely to be completely empty.
* Added (or re-added) more Stoneflowers along Lake Amaya, since there were so few of them. Based on Ajira’s description they should be quite common in that area.
* Added (or re-added) interiors to Wolverine Hall guard towers, plus you can now reach the rampart using a new entrance.
* Added more descriptive texts as to what kind of item you need when you want to mine for minerals or harvest muck.
* Potions of Burden, Paralysis, and Silence have been removed from leveled-lists and will thus no longer appear as random loot.
* You’ll now have to get a bit closer to creatures such as Shalks, Foragers, Alits etc before they attack you.
* The imperial tavern “The Silver Barrel” has been moved from its old location outside Khuul to Fort Buckmoth.
* Travel Agents have been given a new class, “Travel Agent”, and will now explain their trade in the “my trade” topic.
* Nolus Atrius has been given a new class, “Magistrate”, and now explains his trade in the “my trade” topic.
* Mages Guild guides will now explain the requirements for using the Magic Circles.
* Archer Targets can now be used for practice, in the same way as dummies.
* Ashpits now act as containers, and have a chance to hold Gravedust.
* Daedra Heart drop chance has been increased from 25 % to 50 %.
* Dremora Archers are now less likely to run out of arrows.
* Wickwheat Muffin now restores health instead of fatigue.
Morrowind Rebirth Additions
* Added two bedrooms to the South Wall Cornerclub in Balmora. Previously there were no beds for members except for the one you could rent.
* Reworked Dralasa Nithryon Shop in Balmora with more clutter and a bedroom where Dralasa can sleep.
* Reworked Fadril’s Shack in Seyda Neen with more living space and a bed for Fadril to sleep in.
* Added the Secret Master’s Lockpick and Secret Master’s Probe to the gameworld.
* Added a rather large bandit camp outside Ansi, Ascadian Isles.
* Added Eleven new frescos to various areas such as tombs.
* Added bettle-pens to Urshilaku Camp and Zainab Camp.
* Minor visual changes to Mount Assarnibibi Shrine.
* Minor visual changes to Vivec Entrance.
* Minor visual changes to Pelagiad.
* Minor visual changes to Ules Manor exterior.
* Major visual changes to Omani Manor exterior.
Dunmer Strongholds Overhaul
Tons of clutter has been added to the exteriors of some Dunmer Strongholds. This overhaul covers the following ruins:
– Hlormaren (5.0: Part 1)
– Andasreth (5.0: Part 1)
– Falasmaryon (5.0: Part 1)
– Berandas (5.0: Part 1)
– Telasero (5.0: Part 2)
Over the years I’ve recieved feedback that various areas of the game look a bit flat compared to vanilla. With this update I’ve begun to remedy this issue, starting with The Ascadian Isles, and some areas around Seyda Neen, Caldera, Vos and Balmora. This will be an ongoing project, so expect to see more changes in the future.
Player home tweaks
– Caldera Darkstone Manor cost from 75.000 gold to 50.000.
– Balmora River’s Edge cost from 50.000 gold to 20.000.
– Vivec Strider’s Rest cost from 50.000 gold to 20.000.
– Sadrith Mora Fungai Hill cost from 35.000 gold to 15.000.
– Ald’Ruhn Arwin cost from 30.000 gold to 10.000 gold.
– You can no longer pick/break the locks of the player homes using lockpicks, magic or scrolls. You need the correct key provided to you by the real-estate agent.
You can now find 6 different Spell Tomes corresponding to the 6 Magic Schools in Morrowind: Alteration, Restoration, Mysticism, Conjuration, Destruction and Illusion. Each book will
work like a scroll, and will be destroyed when used. The difference is that the bonuses of these tomes will last for 1000 in-game hours, meaning pretty much indefinitely. As for the bonuses
each book will provide a 10 skill bonus to its respective school of magic.
New Enchanted Armor
* Glimmering Helm
* Fortuitous Hand
* Vigorous Boots
* Prismatic Greaves
* Crimson Shield
* Imperial Roundshield
* Golden Saint Shield
* Silver Bracers
* Chitin Throwing Knife
* Daedric Field Arrow
* Netch Herder’s Book of Jokes
* Wickwheat Ale
* Diseased Nix-Hound
* Potion of Fortify Acrobatics
* Potion of Fortify Alchemy
* Potion of Fortify Alteration
* Potion of Fortify Armorer
* Potion of Fortify Athletics
* Potion of Fortify Axe
* Potion of Fortify Block
* Potion of Fortify Blunt Weapon
* Potion of Fortify Conjuration
* Potion of Fortify Destruction
* Potion of Fortify Enchant
* Potion of Fortify Hand-to-Hand
* Potion of Fortify Heavy Armor
* Potion of Fortify Illusion
* Potion of Fortify Light Armor
* Potion of Fortify Long Blade
* Potion of Fortify Marksman
* Potion of Fortify Medium Armor
* Potion of Fortify Mercantile
* Potion of Fortify Mysticism
* Potion of Fortify Restoration
* Potion of Fortify Security
* Potion of Fortify Short Blade
* Potion of Fortify Sneak
* Potion of Fortify Spear
* Potion of Fortify Speechcraft
* Shield: Bargain
* Shield: Cheap
* Shield: Standard
* Shield: Quality
* Shield: Exclusive
* Paralysis Resistance: Bargain
* Paralysis Resistance: Cheap
* Paralysis Resistance: Standard
* Paralysis Resistance: Quality
* Paralysis Resistance: Exclusive
* Cure Companion Blight Disease
* Cure Companion Common Disease
* Cure Companion Paralysis
* Cure Companion Poison
* Draugr Berserker speed from 22 to 40.
* Draugr Deathlord speed from 22 to 40.
* Centurion Giant speed from 50 to 75.
* Slaughtershark speed from 50 to 40.
* Golden Saint speed from 55 to 65.
* Imperfect speed from 80 to 90.
* Ash Slave speed from 30 to 75.
* Ash Zombie speed from 35 to 65.
* Ash Ghoul speed from 60 to 65.
* Ash Scrib speed from 14 to 16.
* Scrib speed from 12 to 16.
* Enamor now has an enchantment (Blind 20 points for 5 seconds on strike).
* Stalhrim armor rating from from 55 to 60.
Spells (base cost)
* Charm base cost from 4 to 3.
* General fixes and improvements to 100+ models.
* General fixes and improvements to 100+ icons.
Note: The icons in Morrowind have always been pretty much all over the place. Most icons in the same categories are not tilting (not saying they have to, but weapons are especially bad) in the same direction, making it difficult to get a clear picture of the stuff you are looking for. For example axes generally tilt to the right, swords generally to the left, while some don’t tilt at all. On top of that Rebirth includes a ton of new meshes for hundreds of items, making some icons not really representative of what they now look like. All in all I hope that the new icons make things a bit easier on the eyes, while also representing the actual look of the item behind it.
* New model, icon and texture for Ring of the Hortator.
* New model, icon and texture for Vampiric Ring.
* New model, icon and texture for Ring of Khajiit.
* New model, icon and texture for Akatosh’s Ring.
* New model and icon for Dahrk Mezalf’s Ring.
* New model and icon for Ring of the Wind.
* New model and icon for Hilbongard’s Hammer.
* New model and icon for Sinyaramen’s Potion.
* New model and icon for Tsiya’s Skooma Pipe.
* New model and icon for Waters of Life.
* New model and icon for Redas Chalice.
* New model and icon for Love Potion.
* New model and icon for Iron Longbow.
* New texture and icon for Shortbow of Sanguine Sureflight.
* New texture and icon for Conoon Chodala’s Boots.
* New texture and icon for Silver Lager.
* New models for broken crates (+ new variations).
* New leaves for Comberry Bushes.
* New unique look for Dagoth Geres.
Morrowind Rebirth – Races [Addon]
* Wood Elf
– One With Nature (Chameleon) magnitude from 50 to 25.
– One With Nature (Chameleon) duration from 30 to 60.
Morrowind Rebirth – Mercenaries [Addon]
* Some mercenaries have been given new equipment.
Morrowind Rebirth – Game Settings [Addon]
* The minumum and maximum chance of blocking has been increased. This change will make blocking more common, while also making it more of a factor to be reckoned with at higher skill-levels.
* You now have to somewhat face NPCs or creatures for a successful attack. This change will also make it far less likely that you’ll ever hit friendlies.
* You now have to somewhat face NPCs or creatures for a successful block.
* Fatigue drain for running has been brought back to vanilla levels. Previously you could run pretty much forever without having to stop for a rest.
* Critical strikes now deal 3x the normal damage instead of 4x the normal damage.
* Attribute multipliers have been brought back to vanilla levels.
* The speed of magic projectiles have been increased somewhat.
* Enchanting items at a vendor is now 20 % cheaper.
Morrowind Rebirth – Skills [Addon]
* Sucessfully picking a lock now gives you 2.5 points instead of 2.0 points towards a skill increase in Security.
* Sucessfully disabling a trap now gives you 5 points instead of 3 points towards a skill increase in Security.
Morrowind Rebirth – Tools [Addon]
* Repair hammers, probes and lockpicks are now somewhat more expensive.
Morrowind Patch Project v1.6.6 [For Rebirth]
* Fixed an issue where Dark Brotherhood assassins spawned earlier than intended due ‘Morrowind Patch Project 1.6.6 [For Rebirth].esm’ changing the same script as Morrowind Rebirth [Main].
* Fixed a couple of script issues, dialogue typos and incorrect filters.
* Added a compatibility patch for ‘Siege at Firemoth’.
* Improved credit list.
* Improved readme.
Learn more at the mod’s official Moddb page right here!