I’m dragging Larry across the ocean just to make him suffer and you can too. Here’s how to get the Gym Trainers and other Special Coaches in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet to join you at the Indigo Disk’s Blueberry Academy.
- How to Call Special Coaches to the Blueberry Academy in Indigo Disk
- How to Get BP to Invite Special Coaches in Indigo Disk
- All Special Coaches in Indigo Disk
- Special Coaches Battle Rewards and Trades
- Who is the Secret Boss of Blueberry Academy?
How to Call Special Coaches to the Blueberry Academy in Indigo Disk
If the Indigo Disk’s Blueberry Academy just doesn’t feel right without the colorful cast of Gym Trainers you’ve come to know and love in the main game, never fear! There’s a way to force them to join you in Blueberry Academy as Special Coaches. And that includes poor Larry, who probably just wants to be left alone.
Here’s what you must do to invite Special Coaches to Blueberry Academy.
The following content walks you through completion of the Indigo Disk’s main storyline, containing mild spoilers throughout. If you don’t want spoilers for the Indigo Disk, we recommend skipping this section and know that you’ll need to complete the main storyline to access Special Coaches.
First, you’ll need to complete Indigo Disk’s main storyline. This requires beating all Elite Four trainers and Kieran. Each quadrant of the Terarium has its own Elite Trainer.
- Polar Biome – Drayton, the Dragon Trainer.
- Costal Biome – Lacey, the Fairy Trainer.
- Canyon Biome – Amarys, the Steel Trainer.
- Savannah Biome – Crispin, the Fire Trainer.
Once these trainers are defeated, you’ll need to speak to the receptionist at the Blueberry Academy entrance to fight Kieran.
With Kieran trounced, you’ll get a cutscene prompting you to visit Class 1-4, which you can get to by interacting with the turnstiles next to the receptionist.
In Class 1-4, you’ll be told you must go to Area Zero in Paldea. Head there by speaking to Carmine, Briar, and Kieran at the entrance of Blueberry Academy.
Once you’re in Area Zero, head all the way to the bottom and make your way into the Underdepths, where you’ll fight Terapagos.
When you’ve successfully defeated and caught Terapagos, you’ll get the end credits, and you’ll be able to return to Indigo Disk’s Blueberry Academy.
Do so, then head to the League Club where the Director of Blueberry Academy will await you. He’ll upgrade your League Terminal in the Club room, allowing you to invite any of the original eight Gym Leaders in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet.
You can only have two over at a time and inviting them to the Blueberry Academy will cost you 200 BP. But isn’t it worth it?
How to Get BP to Invite Special Coaches in Indigo Disk
The only way to get BP and invite a Special Coach in the Indigo Disk is to complete Blueberry Quests (BBQs) while you traverse the Blueberry Academy’s Terarium. These BBQs are menial tasks that often involve snapping a pic of a Pokemon, sneaking up on a Pokemon, catching a specific type of Pokemon, or anything else vaguely related to being a Pokemon trainer in the wilderness. Most of these quests will constantly repeat themselves, and the amount of BP they offer varies based on the “difficulty” of the quest.
Inviting a Special Coach to the League Club Room will cost you 200 BP each time, and you’ll want to invite Special Coaches at least three times to trade with them. That means you’ll need to spend 600 BP on each Special Coach to claim all of the rewards they have to offer. All that BP really adds up, but you can (sort of) speed up the amount of BBQs you complete by doing them with friends online.\
How to Make BP Fast in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet: Indigo Disk
You’ll need thousands of BP to recruit each of the Special Coaches to Blueberry Academy, and grinding out the default solo quests can be extremely time-consuming. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to get thousands of BP in an hour.
You just need to invite your friends to join a BP farming session in a Union Circle. To do this, head to the Central Plaza and interact with the yellow machine near the healing unit. Here you’ll be able to form or join a group. But make sure you’re online! Once you’ve joined a multiplayer session, all the BP your friends earn while completing BBQ quests will be shared with you, and vice versa!
This means in a dedicated hour of BP farming you can get plenty of BP. In fact, in one two-hour-long session, I was able to unlock all the gym leaders and Elite Four.
But don’t worry if you don’t have friends with the game. There are plenty of dedicated Pokemon Scarlet and Violet discords with channels for BP farming. People with premade lobbies will post their group code in the channel and you can join and leave a session at your leisure. Just be sure to help out on red tasks! The more efficiently you clear these, the better!
All Special Coaches in Indigo Disk
While at first the Special Coaches you can invite are limited to the initial eight Paldean Gym Leaders, you’ll unlock more Special Coaches over time after trading Pokemon with a specific number of coaches.
Here is the list of all Special Coaches you can invite to the League Club along with their unlock conditions:
- Katy: available immediately.
- Brassius: available immediately.
- Iono: available immediately.
- Kofu: available immediately.
- Larry: available immediately.
- Ryme: available immediately.
- Tulip: available immediately.
- Grusha: available immediately.
- Rika: Trade Pokemon with five special coaches.
- Poppy: Trade Pokemon with five special coaches.
- Clavell: Trade Pokemon with three special coaches.
- Jacq: Trade Pokemon with three special coaches.
- Raifort: Trade Pokemon with three special coaches and complete Raifort’s friendship quest at the Paldean academy.
- Tyme: Trade Pokemon with three special coaches and complete Tyme’s friendship quest at the Paldean academy.
- Salvatore: Trade Pokemon with three special coaches and complete Salvatore’s friendship quest at the Paldean academy.
- Dendra: Trade Pokemon with three special coaches and complete Dendra’s friendship quest at the Paldean academy.
- Hassel: Trade Pokemon with three special coaches and complete Hassel’s friendship quest at the Paldean academy.
- Saguaro: Trade Pokemon with three special coaches and complete Saguaro’s friendship quest at the Paldean academy.
- Miriam: Trade Pokemon with three special coaches and complete Miriam’s friendship quest at the Paldean academy.
- Geeta: Trade Pokemon with eight special coaches.
Aside from the above Special Coaches, there are three more mystery slots with unknown unlock conditions. It’s highly likely that these three Special Coaches are Nemona, Arven, and Penny, but we have yet to confirm this. These three mystery coaches will likely become unlockable in a future update for the Indigo Disk.
Special Coaches Battle Rewards and Trades
Below you’ll find a list of all of the rewards you’ll get when battling and trading with Special Coaches. Along with your many acquaintances from Paldea, you’ll also be able to battle and trade with Blueberry Academy’s Elite Four as Special Coaches. To do so, you simply need to talk to them when they’re around. You’ll befriend them as you progress your conversations with them over time, allowing you engage with them as you would any other Special Coach.
|Pokemon for Trade
|Sweet Herba Mystica x3
|Surrendering Sunflora Case
|Iono Zone Case
|Spicy Herba Mystica x3
|Salty Herba Mystica x3
|Rare Candies x10
|Bitter Herb Mystica x3
|PP Up x3
|Moved to Tears emote
|Sour Herba Mystica x3
|Aye-Aye, Cap’n emote
|Finger Heart emote
You can battle a Special Coach on their first invite to obtain their special rewards. Each Special Coach will offer to trade Pokemon with you on their third invite. Special Coaches will not ask for a particular Pokemon when trading. Instead, you can choose whatever Pokemon you’d like to give them.
Who is the Secret Boss of Blueberry Academy?
Once you’ve unlocked all Special Coaches in the Indigo Disk and invited each Gym Leader, Rika, Poppy, Clavell, Jacq, and Geeta at least once, you’ll be able to contribute 10 BP to invite the Secret Boss of Blueberry Academy. The Secret Boss is Cyrano, director of Blueberry Academy, and upon invite, he’ll want to battle you. Cyrano has quite the mighty Unovan team, but if you manage to come out on top, he’ll reward you with a fat wad of cash (20k) and offer to trade for a shiny Blitzle.