It’s about time to get spooky, and Niantic is about to dress Pokemon GO up for the occasion. A Halloween-themed event will be starting in the popular Pokemon-catching game at the end of the week, then slide into the first few days of November. Obviously Ghost-type Pokemon are a big part of this event, and this extends through the various Pokemon GO pillars including Raids, Field Research, Special Research, and more.
Pokemon GO Halloween 2020 Event Details
The Pokemon GO Halloween 2020 event kicks off on Friday, October 23, 2020 at 6:00 PM PDT, and runs through Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 6:00 PM PST. That gives Pokemon GO players a solid week and a half-ish of Halloween event time, although some mini-events within the main Halloween event will be even more limited.
Two major debuts will be a part of this event, starting with Galarian Yanmask making its first appearance in Pokemon GO via the “A Spooky Message Unmasked” Special Research. And if you’ve completed the Mega Buddy Challenge Timed Research, you’ll be able to take on new tasks for Gengar Mega Energy, while Mega Gengar takes over Venusaur’s spot in Mega Raids. Trainers will also get twice the normal amounts of Transfer and Catch Candy during the entire event.
On Halloween itself, we’ll see an Alolan Marowak Raid Day in effect, which will see Alolan Marowak show up in Raids more often from 11:00 AM to 5:00PM local time. October 25 is Catch Mastery: Ghost Day, during which Ghost-types will appear more in the wild, and event-only Timed Research will become available. Finally, starting October 26 and running through the end of the event on November 3, the GO Battle League will run a Halloween Cup. This 1500CP-limited event will also restrict players to Poison, Bug, Ghost, Dark, and Fairy-type Pokemon. Prizes here include encounters with costumed versions of the Kanto starters.
Finally, per the official Pokemon GO website, here’s a list of features you’ll be able to encounter throughout the course of the Pokemon GO Halloween 2020 event:
- Ghost-type Pokémon will be appearing more often in the wild, will be featured in raids, and will be hatching more frequently from Eggs.
- This year, Gengar and Sableye will be wearing costumes! Face off with costumed Gengar in raids and keep an eye out for costumed Sableye in the wild—it may even hatch from an Egg!
- Galarian Yamask will appear in Pokémon GO for the first time! Complete the new Halloween 2020 Special Research, A Spooky Message Unmasked, to help Professor Willow uncover the mysteries surrounding this Pokémon.
- Spiritomb can be encountered by completing certain Field Research tasks and by completing the new Halloween 2020 Special Research story, A Spooky Message Unmasked. If you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny one!
- Trainers who completed the Mega Buddy Challenge Timed Research will be able to participate in exclusive Timed Research that will reward Gengar Mega Energy.
- Darkrai will be featured in five-star raids!
- Enjoy Halloween-themed Field Research tasks!
- New avatar items will be available in the Style Shop! Get dressed for Halloween with a Pikachu Mask, Gengar Onesie, Sableye Goggles, Sableye Mask, or Banette Mask! You can also try out the new Spooky Pose!
- Keep those eyes peeled for the Creepy Crate, Boo Bundle, and Pumpkin Pack boxes in the shop!
- Take a snapshot for some spooky surprises!
Are you excited for new seasonal content in Pokemon GO for Halloween? Or are you just in it for the Mega Gengar? Les us know what you think about these festivities over at the Prima Games Facebook and Twitter channels!