It isn’t controversial to suggest that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is way too big. Regardless of your platform, you’re looking at well over a 100 GB install. That’s even after attempts to shrink the number down. While console players are out of luck (and extra hard drive space) for now, a new update to the PC version just helped lighten the load. Now, you can choose to install Modern Warfare in three separate chunks, only keeping the ones you want to use.
How to Modify Your Modern Warfare Install on PC
First of all you’re going to want to make sure you have this week’s new patch installed, so if your game isn’t up to speed you’ll need to make that happen. From there, you can utilize this feature outside of the game, via the Activision/Blizzard Battle.net client. As a disclaimer, Infinity War stresses that you should make sure Modern Warfare is not running, nor updating, before you attempt to use this function.
Once you’re sure you aren’t about to break everything, just follow these steps per the official patch notes from Infinity Ward:
- Open the Battle.net Launcher.
- Select Call of Duty: Modern Warfare from the panel on the left.
- Select the Options menu on the upper lefthand portion of the Battle.net Launcher.
- Select Modify Install to open the installation popup.
- Under Game Content, select Modify Install.
- Uncheck the content you wish to uninstall. (Warzone cannot be uninstalled.)
- Special Ops
- Select Confirm.
- Select Start Install.
This isn’t the most versatile option in the world, but you don’t exactly see similar options in many other games. Choosing to only install parts of games has been more of a concept than a practice, but it’s good to see it on the table here. Most notably, is the fact that regardless of what you pick, Warzone cannot be uninstalled unless you take out the whole package. It’ll be interesting to see what changes there, if anything, when Black Ops Cold War arrives next month.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Season Six Trailer Shows Off New Guns, Modes, and Halloween Mode
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare SP-R 208 Marksman Rifle Unlock and Attachments Guide
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare AS-VAL Assault Rifle Unlock and Attachments Guide
Are you worried about the ballooning file sizes of video games over the past generation? Does Modern Warfare stand out to you as egregious? Or do you not really care either way? Let us know over at the Prima Games Facebook and Twitter channels!