Super Mario Maker 2 is a very underrated gem, giving a franchise that has rooted itself as a firm foundation for gaming as we know it today a creative new spin for fans to enjoy. The sequel to the first Super Mario Maker aimed to give players even more creative freedom, and that’s why their latest update is so exciting! Two mainstay Nintendo franchises meet once more as The Legend of Zelda invades Super Mario Maker 2 in the best way possible: with a playable Link!
The latest update goes live later this week on December 5th and will include the new Master Sword item in addition to Link as a playable character, new course parts, and even a new gameplay mode! The latest crossover is meant to celebrate the recent launch of The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening for the Nintendo Switch, which is a game that had a few crossovers of its own as seen with the Piranha Plants and – of course – the Goombas. Now it’s Link’s time to shine in Mario and honestly? This is the best update yet.
According to Nintendo, “Transforming into Link using the Master Sword opens up a whole new world of design possibilities for creators. Using his arrows, Link can shoot far off switches that Mario would normally not be able to hit. His new down thrust move with the sword will defeat usually protected enemies like spike-covered Spinies. And with bombs, some walls that would normally be impassable by Mario and friends can easily be blown up.”
Link notwithstanding, here are a few other details from the upcoming update that may interest players:
- Dash Block: Available in the Super Mario 3D World style, the Dash Block course part gives Mario a major speed burst when stepped on.
- Frozen Coin: These coins are surrounded by a block of ice and can only be released if melted by fireballs or other fire elements, including a certain angry sun.
- P Block: When a P Switch is hit in the course, invisible P Blocks temporarily turn into hard platforms, or vice-versa.
- Spike: This classic enemy coughs up massive spike balls and launches them at Mario. If used in the snow environment, Spike will toss snowballs instead!
- Pokey: The iconic stacked cactus from multiple Super Mario games joins Super Mario Maker 2 for the first time. Players can even edit the height of each Pokey.
The latest update goes live for Nintendo Switch players on December 5th! Are you excited for Link to join in on the fun in Super Mario Maker 2?