Final Fantasy VII remake and the Avengers Project are two big titles under Square Enix’s name that fans are hyped for, sadly both have been severely lacking in any real news. Luckily, keen-eyed fans were able to spot a new job listing for a Narrative Director and the post itself reveals that they aren’t holding back with this one – even gunning for Game of the Year.
According to the job post, “The Narrative Director will be tasked with the direction of the game’s cinematic and gameplay experiences. They are expert in collaborating across design and narrative disciplines to make memorable, emotional, and cinematic experiences. The Narrative Director will work in partnership with the Game Director and Art Director, to create the narrative tone of the project. They will work cross-discipline with other writers, designers, and artists to develop a high-quality narrative AAA gameplay experience.”
The unfortunate part about the job listing is that its such a pivotal role in development that it looks like the release is still pretty far out in terms of when it will be ready for launch. Other duties listed out in the job requirement includes:
- Take responsibility of the game narrative and shepherd its implementation across the entire development process;
- Ensure the consistency of the game’s narrative voice and execution on creative vision throughout production, from initial concept and foundational development, character development, important narrative milestones, through to final polish.
- Collaborate with the Game Director to understand the game direction and effectively convey it through the game narrative;
- Design and write the overall game narrative, in collaboration with a team of writers;
- Create an emotional gameplay experience that remains consistent to the game’s creative vision.
- Collaborate with and lead other game writers and narrative designers to design, develop, and implement narrative gameplay elements.
- Work with the game design team to develop gameplay features that will support and convey the story;
- Understand the flow of the narrative and adjust gameplay elements accordingly.
- Manage a team of internal and contract game writers;
- Write and edit across all levels of the project, including concept pitches, style guides, cinematic scripts, in-game dialogue, and public-facing copy
While we don’t know much, Marvel teased a little bit of info way back in February of 2018, saying “The Avengers project, featuring a completely new and original story, will introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come. The project will be jammed pack with characters, environments, and iconic moments that will thrill Marvelites.”
“We’re committed to delivering an incredible, completely original Avengers experience to our gamers, and that means we are always looking to add amazing developers to our existing best in class studio talent,” said Scot Amos, Co-Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics. “As development progresses, our studio continues to grow. The tremendous progress we’ve made on TheAvengers project further drives us toward our goal of crafting something all Marvel fans will be proud of, and will play for years to come. We can’t wait to show you what we mean in the future.”
We can’t wait to learn more about what the game has to offer and we might be learning soon because Square Enix teased some pretty big reveals for E3 next month!