Sea of Stars is a love letter to all old-school JRPG games from the 16-bit era, but this indie-darling title is much more than that because it also contains mechanics that we are used to in more modern games – one of them is fishing.
As in many other games, fishing in Sea of Stars is an additional pastime, but also a mini-game through which you can collect fish needed for various recipes (there is campfire cooking in there too!) and some collectible items. So, let’s find out how to fish in the Sea of Stars.
Sea of Stars – The Fishing Guide
In Sea of Stars, there are nine lakes where you can fish as many as 23 different types of fish, you will find the first fishing spot very close at the beginning of the game (on the world map, see the image below), and you wont even need to get a fishing rod or consumable bait.
To start fishing, you need to be on the edge of the fishing lake’s dock, and then:
- Press the confirm button (X button on PlayStation, A button on Xbox, or B button on Switch) to cast and while your bobber is in the air move it with a d-pad to hit the spot where the fish are.
- Once the lure is in the water you can either wait for the fish to bite or start slowly reeling with the confirm button to attract the nearby fish.
- When you get a bite hit the confirm again to hook the fish and start reeling it in with the same button, always moving the line in the opposite direction and staying in the blue light zone in the middle.
- If the line gets red, stop reeling to avoid a line snap and losing the fish
- Sometimes while reeling in, fish can jump out of the water if you press confirm button at the right time you can KO it, and make the reeling easier.
Once you get it close enough to dock – congratulations, you have successfully reeled in the fish! Now you will have two options: to turn it into filets to be used in campfire recipes or to return it to the water. Have fun!
For more Sea of Stars guides here on Prima Games check out what is the Pixel Perfect option,
how to use the Flimsy Hammers, and read our full review of the game – Sea of Stars Review | A Phenomenal Story of Friendship.