Fortnite’s mysterious floating ice ball turned out to be the catalyst that sparked the debut of the Ice Storm event in Fortnite, covering the map in snow and introducing a new set of Ice Storm challenges for players to complete. Similar to the Fortnitemares event, the Ice Storm event challenges task players with destroying Ice Fiends and Brutes that have begun spawning throughout the map in Fortnite Battle Royale. The new Winter’s Thorn Glider is up for grabs for players who complete all 13 Ice Storm challenges in Fortnite. Below, we’ll explain how to go about defeating Ice Fiends, Ice Brutes, and even Golden Ice Brutes so that you can unlock the exclusive Wrap and Glider rewards for yourself.
Fortnite Ice Storm Challenges
Most of the Ice Storm challenges in Fortnite have to do with destroying a certain number of Ice Fiends, which are frosty blue versions of the Husk enemies that were originally in Save the World. There are Ice Brutes as well, which are heftier than the Ice Fiends and tend to pack more of a punch. These frozen enemies are a part of the Ice King’s Ice Legion in Fortnite.
Ice Fiends and Ice Brutes spawn from the large blue Ice Shard crystals that are scattered around the map in Fortnite Battle Royale in the Ice Storm versions of Solo, Duo, and Squad mode. You must be in one of these Ice Storm modes in order to complete the event challenges. New challenges have been unlocking each day. Here’s each of the Ice Storm challenges in Fortnite so far:
- Complete Ice Storm Challenges (6) - Completing this task will reward you with a new Metallic Blue Wrap for your weapons.
- Destroy Ice Fiends (250) - This one is pretty straightforward. Find an Ice Shard and shoot the baddies that come out.
- Deal damage with explosive weapons to the Ice Legion (500) - You’ll need to use an explosive weapon such as a rocket launcher or grenade launcher to finish this challenge.
- Destroy Ice Brutes (100) - Ice Brutes are the larger Ice Legion enemies.
- Deal damage with Assault Rifles or Pistols to the Ice Legion (10,000) - Epic or Legendary weapons are ideal for completing this one quickly.
- Destroy Ranged Ice Fiends (150) - Ranged Ice Fiends are the ones lobbing snowballs at you.
- Destroy Golden Ice Brutes (20) - Golden Ice Brutes are easy to identify, though they won’t appear until later in the match. Make sure to grab whatever loot they drop once eliminating these tough Ice Legion foes.
- Deal damage to the Ice Legion in a single match (2,000) - Damaging any type of Ice Fiend or Ice Brute should count towards this one, so long as it’s all done during the same match.
- Destroy an Ice Shard in different matches (10) - Shoot at the blue crystals that spawn Ice Legion enemies ten times to mark off this challenge.
For obvious reasons, Squad mode is ideal for completing the Ice Storm challenges in Fortnite, as you can work with your teammates to eliminate Ice Fiends and Ice Brutes while simultaneously defending one another. Enemy players will likely be drawn to your location if they hear gunfire or even a swarm of Ice Legion enemies, so stay vigilant and check your surroundings while completing these challenges. Likewise, if you hear some ice fiends lurking in the distance, there’s a good chance you’ll run into enemy players as well, so come prepared for a fight.
You can complete the Ice Storm challenges in Solo mode as well, though it’s a bit trickier to do so by yourself. Your best bet is to land in a place that is relatively unpopulated, somewhere far from the path of the Battle Bus. Keep in mind that you will need some strong weapons and a decent amount of ammo, so try to pick a place with good loot potential. Keep an eye out for a Fiend Hunter Crossbow, as these can pick off fiends and other Ice Legion foes without wasting your precious ammo.
We will update this guide with the remaining Ice Storm challenges as they become available in Fortnite, so be sure to check back here for details. In the meantime, you can head over to our guides on all Chilly Gnome locations and all Expedition Outpost locations to finish up some of the remaining Season 7 challenges you may have in Fortnite.