It's a new week in Fortnite, which means new Limited Time Modes for battle royale fans to enjoy. Whether you're wanting to take the battle to the skies, or get in an old-fashioned food fight, the latest update for the popular battle royale title from Epic Games has you covered.
First things first, Air Royale:
"Pilot the X-4 Stormwing in this Limited Time Mode as you fight to become the last plane flying," boasts Epic Games in their most recent patch notes for the title. "Complete free Challenges to unlock brand new Wraps as you rule the skies." As for how this new mode works:
- Air Royale is lifting off as a Duos-only mode.
- Each plane has 3 lives, players will respawn until they lose their plane's last life.
- Touching the ground will instantly eliminate players.
- Parking a plane on the ground for more than a few seconds will cause it to explode - stay airborne!
- Hijacking another team's plane will add that plane to your existing number of plane lives (and cost the team who lost the plane a life).
- The storm has a ceiling that gradually lowers during the match. Be careful not to fly too high late in the match!
- Loot chests of five different rarities will fall from the sky, allowing players to upgrade the guns they are carrying as well as boosting their plane's weapons for a short time.
- To receive the contents of a Chest, simply fly through it.
- If players receive loot from a Chest containing a weapon they already have that's of the same or worse quality, they'll receive additional ammo.
- Chests with higher quality guns will automatically replace the lower quality weapon that's being carried.
- Floating repair kits can also be found, these heal damaged planes and grant health & shields to players.
As for the Food Fight LTM in all of its fried glory, which will be coming later:
- An impassable barrier will be spawned along the center of the map for the first several minutes. Lava starts rising from beneath the map a few minutes into the match.
- Each team will have an under-construction restaurant near the center of the map. Inside is a giant mascot head representing that team.
- If the mascot head is destroyed, that team loses the ability to respawn when eliminated.
- Players should use the time that the barrier is up to construct a defensive fortress around their restaurant.
- As soon as the barrier lowers, fight to take out their mascot before they destroy yours!
- Special red supply drops spawn at match start. These hold a handful of weapons, ammo, consumables, traps and a few hundred metal building materials.
- Players will respawn when eliminated, keeping their inventory & dropping some ammo and resources.
- 100 percent extra resources are gained from farming.
- Building resources found on the ground increased from 30 to 50 per instance.
- No explosive weapons or items are in this mode.
- A small amount of free building materials are granted to each player every second.
- The restaurants are now much higher, requiring players to build up to them.
- May the best food win!
Limited Time Modes give players a fresh way to experience battle royale, breaking away from the usual last man standing rules. Since Fortnite is a game known for not taking itself too seriously in the name of fun, the latest fried spin on the food fight game is a fun way to let loose and let those yummy morsels go flying.
The latest update is now live on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, Nintendo Switch, and mobile devices.