With the majority of launch issues Grand Theft Auto 5 Online suffered, Rockstar turned its attention to DLC and a laundry list of game tweaks. On Tuesday, GTA Online went live with the much anticipated Beach Bum Pack update. Featuring new vehicles, weapons, character customizations, apparel and 30 new jobs, it didn't disappoint.
Vehicles, Weapons and Apparel
The Beach Bum update comes fully loaded with four new vehicles for players to try. Whether you want to go off-road, stay casual with a beachside campfire or rip up the waves, there's a vehicle for you. The best part? All four of these can be found both in GTA Online and in the story mode. To access the three land based vehicles, visit the in-game website www.southernsanandreassuperautos.com or hit up www.docktease.com for the speedboat. Check out the full list below.
- BF Bifta (Dune Buggy)
- Canis Kalahari (Off-Road Truck)
- Bravado Paradise (Camper Van)
- Speeder (Speedboat)
If vehicles weren't enough, Rockstar also handed over two new close range weapons. The SNS Pistol and Broke Bottle are found online and in the story mode. For some reason, we imagine that Trevor will have a blast with the Broken Bottle.
With transportation and weaponry covered, it's only fitting that players receive new clothing and character customization options. What's the point in causing mayhem if you can't look good doing it? Beach Bum features a large variety of new clothes - everything from hats to tank tops, t-shirts, board shorts, bikinis and all in a wide array of styles and colors. Oh, and don't forget to stop by the hair salon and tattoo parlor, there are new items available there as well. We only hope you saved a bit of cash from your stimulus package to buy all this new gear.
Game Modes and Jobs
Perhaps the biggest content push comes from the addition of 30 new jobs available in Los Santos and Blaine County. Everything from beach-themed Races, Deathmatches, Parachutes, Last Team Standings and Gang Attacks. Plus, if you still haven't snagged the Unnatural Survival trophy, you can try your hand at the Survival on Del Perro Pier. Just survive all 10 waves and it's yours.
Patch 1.06 - Bug Fixes
Although not as glamorous as the DLC in the Beach Bum update, the bug fixes and dynamic tuning to GTA Online will help to keep things running smoothly.
- Fixed an issue where the game would delete your personal Vehicle if you have another player in it when you add a Tracker and Insurance.
- Fixed an issue where players could become stuck on the aerial view when entering GTA Online with cloud servers down and having just launched a mini-game.
- Fixed an issue where the mission Damaged Goods would start even though it had previously been completed.
- Fixed an issue where under rare circumstances players couldn't claim back their personal vehicle in GTA Online.
- Fixed an issue where under rare circumstances players were able to get the Declasse Sheriff SUV into Los Santos Customs and respray it causing the menus to malfunction.
- Fixed an issue where in rare circumstances players would lose all personal vehicles after being idle kicked and unable to rejoin an online session.
- Fixed an issue where players could occasionally get stuck after killing a pedestrian with a golf ball.
- Corrected an exploit where players would retain their personal vehicle after selling it at Los Santos Customs mod shop by transitioning back and forth between Story Mode and Online.
- Corrected an exploit where players could keep repeatedly selling a Bati 801 to Los Santos Customs.
- Corrected an exploit where players were able to duplicate vehicles by accepting a Mission while leaving a high-end garage.
- Corrected an exploit where a player could start a Team Deathmatch with all players on the same team.
- Players are no longer able to delete their GTA Online character while the Rockstar cloud servers are unavailable.
Patch 1.06 - Dynamic Tuning
- The Bad Sport penalty for destroying personal vehicles has been reduced significantly.
- Players will no longer receive a Bad Sport penalty when they are in a non-moving tank and other players crash a vehicle into them.
- The GTA$ and RP rewards for Races, Deathmatches and Parachuting are now based on the average time they take to complete.
- Players now receive GTA$ and RP rewards when failing a cooperative Job or being a member of the losing team during a Versus Mission, depending on how long the Job / Mission lasts.
- Players now receive a bonus GTA$ multiplier for Missions when played at the higher difficulty levels (Normal = 1.25, Hard = 1.5).
- In Team Deathmatch, all players on a team now receive the same GTA$ and RP rewards, with the winning team getting roughly 4-5x what the losing team receives.
- Removed some instances of debris in specific Races, including the cardboard from the 'Down the Drain' Race.
- Deliveries from Pegasus have been reduced from $1,000 to $200.
- The cost of removing a wanted level by calling Lester has now been scaled based on the amount of stars you have - at a cost of $200 per star.
- Restricted cars and vehicles that have been added to player garages through exploits have been removed. This includes tanks, helicopters and police vehicles.
- The following vehicles have been added to the southernsanandreassuperautos.com website in-game: BF Dune Buggy, Canis Bodhi, Karin Rebel, Maibatsu Sanchez 2, Vapid Sadler, Vapid Sandking SWB.
- To eliminate any remaining vehicle loss issues, an additional automatic cloud save will occur when purchasing a vehicle or vehicle modification.
The Grand Theft Auto Online Beach Bum update is available now for download and installation on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Check out the Prima Games’ Grand Theft Auto 5 Free Guide for more info.